!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2018 12:27 pm  #561

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Emral holds up his hand.

“Don’t shoot first. We’re talking to this one.”

To the inside of the temple: “Greetings, whoever’s in here. I am Emral Ur Varlok, a swordsman and sorcerer. This is my companion. We don’t want to fight; the previous battles were in self defense, or a mistake. I came here to help bring a villager home, but he died before I arrived. I had hoped to learn about the deaths of the people in this temple, and perhaps help put the spirits to rest. Who are you?”

11/21/2018 1:10 pm  #562

The staff pulses, its radiant shafts of light ebb and flow.

11/21/2018 3:07 pm  #563

Does it seem to pulse in a way that responds to Emral's words?

11/21/2018 3:22 pm  #564

[roll 3d6.]

11/21/2018 4:06 pm  #565

Iron Ranger wrote:

[roll 3d6.]

11/21/2018 4:37 pm  #566

11/21/2018 9:58 pm  #567

fireinthedust wrote:

You feel that the pulse seems to amplify with the lilt of your voice.

Add 250XP.

11/22/2018 10:35 am  #568

Emral moves closer.

Does the light of the staff look like the light from the celestial object?
What does the pool look like?
The wooden pews are broken, right? I thought they were ash.

"I think we're here during some kind of... holy day for this group. Maybe they were supposed to be singing in the pews, where the light shines."

11/22/2018 10:49 am  #569

No, The light of the staff is a soft bright white, not a hard crackling electrical blue.
You cannot see into the pool at the back of the raised dais. You cannot really see through the bright white staff light to discern the area of the pool at all.
The wooden pews are not broken, they are charred and scorched, but intact, like logs in a fire that went out. Several of the small skeletons lay/hid underneath them before. The staff light shines down in eight beams, one onto each pew.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (11/22/2018 10:51 am)

11/22/2018 2:02 pm  #570

Emral moves forward into the area.  He gets close to one of the beams of light near the pews.

Emral thinks out loud as he inspects the beams. "What were the number of strings that would have been in the harp?  Is it equal to the number of beams of light from the staff? And do the different beams react to different notes of music?  Hmmm... If so, we'll need to figure out what song they were singing to activate the staff...  Here goes nothing:  Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti Do!"

He sings the notes as best he can.
His past as (an exiled/self-exiled) member of a noble house that was involved in a cult, one which involved singing like many other groups, means he's seen the play "the sound of muzak" and sat around the fire with a zither.  Not his interest, but the training did come in handy for chanting spell phrases using strange words.

ooc:  I'm wondering if we'll be able to use the pews later for firewood or if they're so burned that they can't be burned again, but oh well.

11/22/2018 3:22 pm  #571

The light shaft remains silent, odorless, and motionless.
Though if I know Malak, his foot started a-tappin'...

The pews are definitely destroyed but surely there is enough wood beneath that heavy char to save your lives tonight. You kick yourselves for not noticing even sooner.

11/23/2018 11:27 am  #572

I watch and guard!

11/23/2018 11:40 am  #573

There are noises in the woods.

11/23/2018 2:18 pm  #574

What do the noises sound like to us?

11/23/2018 2:24 pm  #575

Whispering voices, but you do not understand the language.

11/23/2018 2:38 pm  #576

Iron Ranger wrote:

Whispering voices, but you do not understand the language.

"Emril, what is that?"

11/23/2018 5:18 pm  #577

Emral listens for the voices.

11/23/2018 8:47 pm  #578

Emral cannot hear the voices from his position near the staff beams at the pews.

11/24/2018 4:44 pm  #579

I look out to the woods!

11/24/2018 4:56 pm  #580

The crackling blue light illuminates the treetops but doesn't penetrate any deeper.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.