!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2014 7:51 pm  #141

Re: The Black Monolith - Verctissa

Handy Haversack wrote:

Verctissa will follow her unless she sees Mikael.

The second floor landing ends with a closed door to the east and a short hall with other doors to the west. The stairwell continues up to a third floor. Hrodney passes the doors and walks to the end of the hall and enters a wide room that is over a good half of the lower floor of the inn. There are bed-rolls against the far walls and a few tables and benches to the north. Wide windows on each side flood the room with light. No one can be seen.

"Upstairs, and we can check on Sibjla, Olaf and Varin," she tells Verctissa.

As they reach the stairs they come upon three of the Keltoi who were downstairs when Verctissa first entered the inn as they are coming up from the first floor.

4/11/2014 7:27 am  #142

If the shaman is not with them, then Vercrtissa will simply nod and follow Hrodney up the stairs--unless Hrodney seems nervous somehow by their presence.

4/11/2014 10:53 am  #143

Handy Haversack wrote:

If the shaman is not with them, then Vercrtissa will simply nod and follow Hrodney up the stairs--unless Hrodney seems nervous somehow by their presence.

The three Keltoi move to one side on the landing letting Hrodney and Verctissa pass up the stairs.

Roll a d20

4/11/2014 12:22 pm  #144

16!

I never know if I want high or low! It's all so tense!

4/11/2014 12:32 pm  #145

Handy Haversack wrote:

16!

I never know if I want high or low! It's all so tense!

(LoL)

As the Keltoi pass Yiel gives a cry and Verctissa can see the eyes of the Keltoi. They are a deep solid black, like a pool of liquid midnight. Their hands are going for the knives at their belts as they turn back toward Hrodney and Verctissa.

(Add 25xp to your character).

Last edited by JasonZavoda (4/11/2014 12:32 pm)

4/11/2014 12:45 pm  #146

Uh oh.

Verctissa cries a warning to Hrodney: "Beware! They are possessed!" She'll try to fall back behind Hrodney and use her whip to entangle of of them.

Not sure how you do initiative, but here's a d6 and a couple of d20 rolls in case they are needed (she's also at -1 to-hit from her 6 STR):

d6: 5
d20: 11
d20: 10

4/11/2014 1:14 pm  #147

Handy Haversack wrote:

Uh oh.

Verctissa cries a warning to Hrodney: "Beware! They are possessed!" She'll try to fall back behind Hrodney and use her whip to entangle of of them.

Not sure how you do initiative, but here's a d6 and a couple of d20 rolls in case they are needed (she's also at -1 to-hit from her 6 STR):

d6: 5
d20: 11
d20: 10

Hrodney reacts to Yiel's cry of warning and turns as the Keltoi are turning. The passed in a row and only the last is there to strike at Hrodney. He draws his knife as her foot slams into his groin. He gives a 'woof' and staggers back, dropping his knife as Hrodney draws her own. Verctissa steps back. Luckily the landing is as wide square and high so that she can draw back her whip and readies to strike.

With a second kick to the Keltoi's chest Hrodney knocks him back again into the two others keeping them from advancing but fails to knock them down. To her side Verctissa lashes out with her whip and wraps it around the throat of the Keltoi in the front.

(add 115xp to your character)

4/11/2014 1:17 pm  #148

Excellent! She'll yank him to the ground and knock him out with her staff if there's time.

4/11/2014 1:43 pm  #149

Handy Haversack wrote:

Excellent! She'll yank him to the ground and knock him out with her staff if there's time.

Hrodney kicks as Verctissa pulls. The Keltoi's face is a dark red with his tongue sticking from his teeth as Hordney kicks his jaw snaps shut and the end of his tongue is clipped off like a piece of celery. As Vertissa pulls him forward his body pivots around the impact of Hrodney's foot brining him crashing down face first on the landing. Behind him the two Keltoi with knives drawn advance side by side. With a cry of "Allfather!" Hrodney throws her knife into the ones chest and reaches for her sword.

(Roll a d20 for the staff and add 100xp to your character)

(Normally I give out xp in a lump at the end of encounters but this saves me from having to add everything up. Let me know when you hit your next level).

Last edited by JasonZavoda (4/11/2014 1:44 pm)

4/11/2014 1:44 pm  #150

Sigh. 6. Well, she was never going to make her fame with her strength at arms.

4/11/2014 1:50 pm  #151

Handy Haversack wrote:

Sigh. 6. Well, she was never going to make her fame with her strength at arms.

Verctrissa's staff clacks down on the wood near the Keltoi's head. He vomits blood and pushes himself to hands and knees. Near by Hrodney has her sword drawn as both Keltoi step tpwards her. One tangles with the feet of his fallen comrade but the other, knife sticking from his chest. slashes at Hrodney and manages to draw a cut across the back of her left hand.

4/11/2014 1:52 pm  #152

OK, I'll yank the whip off the blood vomiter and try to entangle one of the others to even the odds up somewhat. And Yiel will take off for the common room to see if she can find the Keltoi shaman who respected her.

4/11/2014 1:58 pm  #153

Handy Haversack wrote:

OK, I'll yank the whip off the blood vomiter and try to entangle one of the others to even the odds up somewhat. And Yiel will take off for the common room to see if she can find the Keltoi shaman who respected her.

Yiel leaps forward and down the well of the stairs while Hordney opens a terrible wound on the knife -wounded Keltoi. The whip comes free from the tongueless foe with a flick of Verctissa's wrist. The unwounded Keltoi pushes the tongueless one down as he tries to get at Hrodney.

(Roll for attack with the whip)

4/11/2014 2:01 pm  #154

Ahem. 8.

4/11/2014 2:07 pm  #155

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ahem. 8.

The whip lashes near the Keltoi's face but only snaps against the air. He lunges for Hrodney who manages to step back agaisnt the bannister while turning from the badly wounded Keltoi opens up a line of cut and bleeding flesh against this new attacker.

(Add 10xp to yout character)

4/11/2014 2:09 pm  #156

I'll try again. Is Yiel seeing anything of note?

D20: 15!

4/11/2014 2:17 pm  #157

Handy Haversack wrote:

I'll try again. Is Yiel seeing anything of note?

D20: 15!

One pass round the common room, then into first one then a second then a third room reveals only three old Rus sitting by the fire nursing tankards. The rise to their feet at the sight of Yiel, but no sign of the shaman or the other three Keltoi.

On the landing Verctissa's whip lashes round the Keltoi's arm and his lunge at Hrodney is pulled aside. Hrodney puts her  sword through his mouth in an explosion of blood and teeth. As he draws it out and to the side  the top half the Keltoi's skull dangles from flesh and tendon of his shattered jaw. The body drops like a sack. The last satnding Keltoi slashes at Hrondey and draws sparks against her chainmail vest.

(add 75xp to your character)

4/11/2014 2:20 pm  #158

"Take this one alive if you can, Hrodney! We must find out what power is at work." And whip again!

. . . 12

[This is perfect for a Friday afternoon; a geat relief while settling a few last matters here for the week! Though I have a softball game after work so probably won't be around again after ~4:30 EDT until late tonight or tomorrow morning..]

4/11/2014 2:29 pm  #159

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Take this one alive if you can, Hrodney! We must find out what power is at work." And whip again!

. . . 12

[This is perfect for a Friday afternoon; a geat relief while settling a few last matters here for the week! Though I have a softball game after work so probably won't be around again after ~4:30 EDT until late tonight or tomorrow morning..]

(Yeah, this is a lot of fun. I will be away most of monday for a fitting with the new leg and then sometime coming up I may be offline for a long while with rehab)

Vectrissa's whip slaps short against the tongueless kelt as he pushes himself to her feet. Hrodney tries to pull her blow but her sword disappears into the chest of the Keltoi attacking her only for a foot of the blade to reappear out his back. she lets the body slide to the floor off her blade and turns to the tongueless foe.

(add 35xp to your character)

4/11/2014 2:46 pm  #160

Verctissa will grab the survivor and try to propel him into the room where Hrodney's friends are, saying that we should keep this one alive and quiet--and make sure her companions are OK. She'll also call Yiel back.

[Good luck with the fitting! I'm glad you're feeling better than you were last weekend.]

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.