!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/12/2018 8:40 am  #261

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Malak watches as Emral staggers to the doorway.

The light from his lantern falls through into the small 10 x20 ft room beyond.  15 ft high ceiling is intact, a welcome relief from the stinging sleet.
A long, burned wooden table centers the room.
Inside the stone fireplace on the west wall a cooking pot hangs from a chain.
A door in the right wall far corner of the right wall.
Two small open windows high on the left wall at about 12 ft.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/22/2019 9:25 am)

10/12/2018 10:44 am  #262

Let's set up camp after searching the room.

10/12/2018 11:42 am  #263

Are there any places where something could hide in ambush, like under the table win the fireplace?

And is the room 20’ long or wide?

Also: I have illustrated the battle on my Instagram, fireinthedust
I have taken liberties, but I’m confident it expresses the inner truth of the moment. I regret nothing but my wrist pain!!!!

10/12/2018 12:21 pm  #264

Cautiously, Emral leans down to look under the table, nothing hiding there.  The fireplace is sooted but you can see the back stones from the doorway, nothing hiding there. The cooking pot hanging from the chain inside the fireplace could feasibly hide something small.

The door in the far right corner is closed.  The windows high above you on the left wall contain no glass.

10ft wide by 20 ft long

________fireplace_______
|                                      |
|                                         door
|                                         |
​window           t                  |
​|                     a                  |
​|                      b                |
 l                  |                    |
​window        e                   |
|                                        |
_______________  Emral  |
pulpit _____/                     |
                                         |
      Malak                          |

[not sure why the spacing doesn't hold correctly on submit, but you get the idea...]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/12/2018 12:26 pm)

10/12/2018 1:47 pm  #265

Emral waits for Malak before moving along the right-hand wall toward the door, keeping an eye on the room as he does so: expecting more skeletons to attack or other haunted house issues.

Is there noise from the doorway, like it leads outside to the rain?

Which wall points to the outside of the building?

10/12/2018 3:57 pm  #266

((question: do we want to find a third player? While we've got the rogue and Warlock roles covered, I'm open to a quality group member who can banter with us and take the in-character work seriously; and be fast like us, because I have to say you guys are fantastic.  I don't have anyone in mind, but I was just thinking it might be helpful, especially since we don't have a GM npc to banter with (not a powerful GMPC, but an Olo who can give our peerless and fearless an in-game voice for snide comments and taunting).  Just wondering if you two feel the same way.  As a narcissist I suggest someone worthy of my presence, like Michael Moorcock or one of those Gygax lads?  (jk, though that would be epic)
Also feeling bad that we don't have a Barbarian for Malak's Crom worship - which I have to say is an interesting choice for a thief; does AS&SH not have a rogue cult?!))

10/12/2018 4:18 pm  #267

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral waits for Malak before moving along the right-hand wall toward the door, keeping an eye on the room as he does so: expecting more skeletons to attack or other haunted house issues.

Is there noise from the doorway, like it leads outside to the rain?

Which wall points to the outside of the building?

Emral slinks along the right hand wall, knowing it to be an outside wall, toward the far door. The heavy sleeting can be heard out the high windows. And an occasional heavy Plink into the cooking pot. He makes it to the door as Malak stands in the other doorway.

10/12/2018 4:24 pm  #268

Ready with his sword, Emral looks out the door.

Is the door open or closed?  Is there any other room in the building?!

10/12/2018 4:26 pm  #269

The door is closed. The heavy wood is charred as is most everything.

10/12/2018 5:04 pm  #270

I enter the room.
"Warlock should we light a fire?"

10/12/2018 5:23 pm  #271

"First we check the fireplace.  If the treasure was stashed up there, we may be able to leave when the rain lets up. Do you have firewood?  Once we warm up, we can keep the light from my lantern and then just kindle the embers for heat."

Emral hobbles over and checks the chimney, the area around the fireplace, etc.  

"There are drops from the chimney, so it's not blocked entirely. Hopefully it will go into the cauldron instead of putting out our fire. But when I was younger, hiding things up inside chimneys or under bricks was good fun. Maybe there's a loose stone on the floor or walls, or up around the rim. But unless there's a secret door or hidden nook..."

The Warlock pauses to think.

"Temples have coffers. The raiders blocked off the doors and set the building ablaze. This looks like the after-services room for meals, maybe where the clerics rested or prepared for their services. But where are the closets for robes? The hidden vaults for valuables?  Heck, a chest of drawers or something!  The other buildings in the village are tumbled down, gone, so if one of them is where the priests lived - like a farmer who takes time for religion, say - then this room or the main hall would be it for the building.  But what about funeral services? Where is the graveyard or the pit for the village paupers?  I didn't see a well, either.
"So what I'm getting at is that we have a lot of reasons to believe there's more here than we've seen. I'm thinking the fireplace is the key to this: it's on the far end of the room, and this isn't the kitchen of an Inn. No signs of a bed or living area for the clerics, no robes, etc.  I'm guessing there's a basement."

((Emral is thinking there's a basement, and he's looking around the fireplace.  It's bare in here, and there were only children's skeletons in the first room. No sign of the witch or the rest of the cult, for example.))

10/12/2018 5:59 pm  #272

The cooking pot hangs from a long rusted chain and is empty save for a few pebbles of sleet from the darkness above.

The stones are blackened but all solidly mortared in place.

Under the pot is a pile of ashes.

10/12/2018 8:54 pm  #273

Any dry timbers to light in the fire?

10/12/2018 11:05 pm  #274

Malak finds a few small twigs in the ashes, dry enough to light.

10/13/2018 1:42 am  #275

Let's light a cheery fire

10/13/2018 10:00 am  #276

Can we break the table and use it? Or any chairs?

10/13/2018 11:22 am  #277

There are no chairs, but the table seems rickety enough....

10/13/2018 5:05 pm  #278

Let's break up the table and start a fire.
Did we thoroughly search the room?

10/13/2018 7:20 pm  #279

I break the table!

10/13/2018 8:35 pm  #280

Emral watches, resting near the fireplace watching Malak and the room; and pondering where the treasure or the other foes could be.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.