!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/08/2018 7:55 am  #21

Re: Hypnosis vs Undead

Chainsaw wrote:

Not to belabor it, Morgan, but I suppose under your intepretation, skeletons (and automatons) wouldn't be able to "see" those under Invisibility effects either, correct? I have historically taken more of a supernatural "sense-the-living" approach, which would have ignored Invisibility.

They would be treated as any other monster.  Necromancers get Invisibility to Undead as a first level spell that is the same as Invisibility (I think) but just for undead.  Given the spell is the same generally I would assume the undead would be fooled by the regular Invisibility spell as well as Invisibility to Undead.  I think the description of the monster would have to say "see invisible" for me to nix the spell.  

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/08/2018 10:33 am  #22

As far as iron automatons go, they are described as "immune to sorcery, except lightning". Bronze, clay, and stone automatons have similar restrictions, and flesh automatons are "immune to charm, hold, sleep, and other mind-affecting magic". So that would seem to rule out hypnotic pattern against any automaton in the RAW (which of course any DM can and should ignore if they wish).

Tombs of the Blind Dead is exactly what I was thinking about with the "unseeing skeletons" bit.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/08/2018 10:37 am  #23

Blackadder23 wrote:

As far as iron automatons go, they are described as "immune to sorcery, except lightning". Bronze, clay, and stone automatons have similar restrictions, and flesh automatons are "immune to charm, hold, sleep, and other mind-affecting magic". So that would seem to rule out hypnotic pattern against any automaton in the RAW (which of course any DM can and should ignore if they wish).

Tombs of the Blind Dead is exactly what I was thinking about with the "unseeing skeletons" bit.

Yup!  I would rule that way since its specifically stated.  The Blind Dead movies were cheesy but innovative for the time.  I own and love them!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/08/2018 10:49 am  #24

Blackadder23 wrote:

As far as iron automatons go, they are described as "immune to sorcery, except lightning".

Oh yeah! I should have refreshed.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.