!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2014 4:59 pm  #121

Re: The Black Monolith - Verctissa

JasonZavoda wrote:

Thanks Michael,

Right leg turned out okay but with some light arthritis damage (I can't feel it so the arthritis isn't painful). My temp leg is finished and I go for the fitting on monday. First time I will be able to stand on two legs since March 2010. 

Glad to hear it! Sounds like a hard road. You have my absolute best wishes.

4/08/2014 5:02 pm  #122

JasonZavoda wrote:

The back of the store on the left seems to be dedicated to weapons and armor. Most of it seems to be hides and leather with some bronze plate pieces and steel chainmail. Hrodney is at the back of the store talking with two of her companions while the third is haggling with the trader over a half-dozen swords, bows and score of dagger and throwing axes. 

The one man is very tall with very short cut blond hair and a red-blond beard. He wears a fine looking chain shirt. The second man is over average height with dull red hair and sharply pointed red beard. He wears a leather vest with various bits of metal plate sewn in at key points. The third man is a bit shorter than the others and has a dark cloak over his shoulders with his arms free. He is dark haired man with a short dark beard. He gestures often with his arms and shows the series of daggers on his belt and one even on his leather vest. The trader is a middle-aged man, tall but a bit round about the middle with brown grey hair and beard.

Verctissa moves near Hrodney and waits, Yiel on her shoulder. She'll try to see if she can guage the power relationships in this group, whether one seems to be the leader or is more deferred to.

4/08/2014 5:19 pm  #123

Hrodney talks with both men. She turns her head and looks back at Verctissa then says something to both men then turns back and walks back to the front of the store with the two men behind her.

"Verctissa, Yiel these are Eirik fair-hair," she points to the tall warrior, "and Lodin the Fox," she nods toward the red-head. 

The tall warrior hold up his palm in a peaceful gesture and the Lodin grins  showing why he received his nickname. Between the red-beard and his sly smile he has a very foxy look.

4/08/2014 5:27 pm  #124

"Greetings. Hrodney I have met, and she told me of your recent valor. I commend you for it, and for your strength in the great web. Yiel and I are travelers, new to this land. It seems troubles are never far away here."

4/08/2014 5:37 pm  #125

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Greetings. Hrodney I have met, and she told me of your recent valor. I commend you for it, and for your strength in the great web. Yiel and I are travelers, new to this land. It seems troubles are never far away here."

"Life is meant for trouble, sweet Verctissa and watchful Yiel," Lodin says and places his hand on his chest as he bows. 

Eirik swats him lightly, "and Lodin here is usually the cause."

"Hey now, Fair-Hair, if it weren't for trouble where would we earn our coin." Lodin laughs.

" I've told Lodin and Eirik and Eyvind back there that I am off to the docks," says Hrodney, "We better be off or these two will keep us talking till the sun is gone."

4/08/2014 5:41 pm  #126

"Indeed. I can see the risk clearly." To the other two: "Well met and farewell both. Perhaps we shall see you again."

And she'll head out with Hrodney to find the docks.

4/08/2014 5:58 pm  #127

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Indeed. I can see the risk clearly." To the other two: "Well met and farewell both. Perhaps we shall see you again."

And she'll head out with Hrodney to find the docks.

As the door closes on the trading post Hrodney laughs and says,"We escaped and it is still sometime before the high of the sun. You and Yiel are both good charms to have near,".

At the street she turns to the east and points to a road that is several buildings away," That way heads north and the entire north of Ruthan is along the shore. Sorry I am that I paid no attention to it, but it seems to mostly fish and packages."

The road is fairly empty. The nearest building shows bright clothing in the windows and hanging in the yard, beside it is a very wide low building. It has very large doors that are wide open. Inside it seems to have a wide open space with a few piles tall piles of goods and another few sorted rows. The back of the building is also open and a dock can be seen with several men unloading a boat.

Beyond that a two story building is on the corner with a road before it running north and south.

4/08/2014 6:10 pm  #128

We'll approach the men and the dock and hail them. "How fared you upon the waters? We are strangers here, but already I have seen the dangers that swim in this lake. Tell me, if you will, of the waters you work and what hides within them."

4/08/2014 6:20 pm  #129

Handy Haversack wrote:

We'll approach the men and the dock and hail them. "How fared you upon the waters? We are strangers here, but already I have seen the dangers that swim in this lake. Tell me, if you will, of the waters you work and what hides within them."

"Hey there!" says one of the men carrying a large sack across his back. He looks to be a very strong man but the sack bends him part over. Still he smiles as he passes by.

The man behind him is huge. He carries two sacks the size of the first man and is hardly bent beneath them at all. He drops them and bows deeply nodding toward Hrodney and Verctissa, but offer his deep respect to Yiel. He smiles and picks up both sacks as if they were a light pack. A third man, tall but thin with broad shoulder comes behind them. He has a wooden plate in his hand and is making marks on it with a wooden stick. 

"Hail ladies," he says, "We get no further than the dock to unload the boats anymore," he tells Verctissa and Hrodney. "You are welcome to step above the lake if you like or even try a hand at the fish after we unload Old Lug's boat." He turns and nods toward the small ship several other men are unloading.

4/08/2014 6:29 pm  #130

Yiel will nod at him from Verctissa's shoulder and preen at his respect. Verctissa says, "We thank you. We would very much like a chance to step above the lake when there is a chance to do so. Does Old Lug venture back upon the waters, then, when the load is taken?"

4/08/2014 8:18 pm  #131

Handy Haversack wrote:

Yiel will nod at him from Verctissa's shoulder and preen at his respect. Verctissa says, "We thank you. We would very much like a chance to step above the lake when there is a chance to do so. Does Old Lug venture back upon the waters, then, when the load is taken?"

"Old Lug sales to the North then East over the Chain and to the land of the Keltoi," says the older man, "We load his boat with cloth, and grain, salt from the mines to the west, goat meat and cheese, pots and pans, arrowheads and needles. A hundred small things the Keltoi want from us. The end of the dock is empty if you wish to stand above the lake."

4/08/2014 9:06 pm  #132

We'll head out on the dock, and Yiel will circle out over the waters to see if there's anything of note.

4/09/2014 9:59 am  #133

Handy Haversack wrote:

We'll head out on the dock, and Yiel will circle out over the waters to see if there's anything of note.

Yiel flies over the buildings near the shore and is surprised to see how large a town Ruthan actually is. Building stretch along the shore and range back south and east. Many to the south are small buildings widely separated from their neighbors with tiny growing fields around them and fenced in yards of pig, goat, cow or chicken. To the east the buildings are all short except for a large stone building about three or four stories tall that seems to be a series of steps. 

To the north are the docks, mostly empty, several are large eough for several of the large boats or even a small ship. The waters are dark. The lake seems to drop down very quickly and the depths are a blackish-blue. Yiel can feel a coldness from the waters, even at the height he is flying, and a hunger. To the East and North he can see movement on the waters that may be boats and a tiny island to the north at the edge of his vision.

4/09/2014 12:35 pm  #134

Verctissa shares Yiel's impressions with Hrodney and tell her about the corpse and giant crab that we first spied. She'll ask whether Hrodney knows of other threats in the lake.

4/09/2014 12:39 pm  #135

Handy Haversack wrote:

Verctissa shares Yiel's impressions with Hrodney and tell her about the corpse and giant crab that we first spied. She'll ask whether Hrodney knows of other threats in the lake.

"I am not much for water," says Hrodney, "but my people of old are of the sea. I would not be bothered by a trip on the water, but maybe we go see this body and kill this big crab-thing?"

4/09/2014 12:43 pm  #136

Well, it seems like there's time before the meeting--but Verctissa says that they should bring her companions since she is not much for hand-to-hand fighting.

4/09/2014 2:08 pm  #137

Handy Haversack wrote:

Well, it seems like there's time before the meeting--but Verctissa says that they should bring her companions since she is not much for hand-to-hand fighting.

"I am good with my sword," says Hrodney, "But let us see if Eirik or Lodin are hungry for some fish."

They quickly make there way back to the trading post. Inside the place is as crowded with goods as it was before but no one seems to be inside. "Barchev! Barchev!" Hrodney calls out. From behind a large stack of furs the old trader comes out brushing at a leather vest with cloth.

"Yes! Yes! I am coming," he says, "Oh it is you, Hrodney, what is it you want?"

"I am looking for my companions," she says.

"Oh, they have gone," he answers, "Anything you wanted to buy or trade?" he asks hopefully.

"No, no, you have enough of my coin," she answers, "They are probably at the inn." she says to Verctissa.

4/09/2014 2:42 pm  #138

"Let us go there, then. I would know, too, if there is any word of the boy who was injured today."

Yiel back to shoulder. Onward to the inn.

4/10/2014 6:10 pm  #139

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Let us go there, then. I would know, too, if there is any word of the boy who was injured today."

Yiel back to shoulder. Onward to the inn.

Inside the inn things have quited since the earlier excitement. As the day climbs to midday only a few older men sit near the fire and the tables and benches are clean and empty. A young girl, one of Mikael's many daughters, is behind the bar.

Hrodney turns for the stairs and the upper floors. "They may be in the room we have for our injured," she says.

4/10/2014 7:28 pm  #140

Verctissa will follow her unless she sees Mikael.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.