!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/02/2018 10:48 am  #141

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Stepping outside, I take the lantern in my left hand, a dagger in right. 
"Let's give this building a thorough look-over. Where should we start?"

10/02/2018 11:05 am  #142

The warlock and thief stand side by side outside the burned out church. Nature refuses to retake this abandoned village, the fallen huts scattered on the barren earth.
The daylight is fading fast. The gathering clouds overhead threaten only.
The only etchings are the ones carved into the outside of the entrance doors.
The smoldering lump of charred carcass is nearly out at your feet. Several buzzards soar high above you.

10/02/2018 11:30 am  #143

Emral investigates the etchings on the doors.  Anything recognizable?  I'm guessing written by someone after locking the witch & co inside, but Emral is interested in magical letters and sigils of all kinds.

And what kind of charred carcass are we talking here? It's right in the doorway?

10/02/2018 11:31 am  #144

fireinthedust wrote:

And what kind of charred carcass are we talking here? It's right in the doorway?

Good Question

I join the warlock in examining the etchings

Last edited by achiriaco (10/02/2018 11:35 am)

10/02/2018 12:33 pm  #145

The crude writing was noticed by Malak and Olo before they managed to open the door. In broken common tongue basically : Herein perished the Wicked Generation. Gods forgive us for what we've done. This more thorough examination reveals the words were cut using a very dull blade, possibly an eating utensil.

The carcass is man-sized. And turning it over reveals the horribly burned face of poor Olo, most all of his skin burned away, his clothing seared to his charred flesh.

10/02/2018 12:42 pm  #146

How did he get outside?

10/02/2018 12:44 pm  #147

Iron Ranger wrote:

The crude writing was noticed by Malak and Olo before they managed to open the door. In broken common tongue basically : Herein perished the Wicked Generation. Gods forgive us for what we've done. This more thorough examination reveals the words were cut using a very dull blade, possibly an eating utensil.

"Pfft, prose as spells. Or, well, prayers. Still, I'm not sure that trapping people in a building before setting it on fire counts as being free of 'wickedness'."

The carcass is man-sized. And turning it over reveals the horribly burned face of poor Olo, most all of his skin burned away, his clothing seared to his charred flesh.

"Ah, this would be the lad, hmm? Drat." He is silent for a blink, then looks the body over, chatting with Malak as he does so.  "This isn't so great for my perfect record as a bounty hunter. I suppose the down payment will have to suffice. Though perhaps bringing the body for burial would make them happy. Or at least willing to pay more for monstrous extermination, rather than just a truant officer job. Did you see what happened?"

(does this look like a spell, or like he was covered in pitch and set alight?)

10/02/2018 12:58 pm  #148

Both ponder, 4d6.

10/02/2018 2:34 pm  #149

Iron Ranger wrote:

Both ponder, 4d6.

6, 4, 3, 1

10/02/2018 2:36 pm  #150

Malak scratches his head, but for the life of him, he just can't figure out how Olo's body moved outside...

10/02/2018 3:16 pm  #151

"Warlock! I cannot seem to remember how Olo got out here!"

10/02/2018 3:18 pm  #152

Malak waits while Emral very closely examines the dead boy's carcass.

10/02/2018 3:20 pm  #153

Malak waits...

10/02/2018 3:34 pm  #154

((sorry, was driving.  I used a dice roller, rolz.org: 5 5 4 5, which I'm not sure if we're rolling over or under, or if it's using Int.  HOWEVER the question I have is whether this forum has a dice roller. Not that it will change the result, but maybe I'll be able to use it on my phone when I'm out...  [roll]1d6[/roll][roll]1d6[/roll][roll]1d6[/roll][roll]1d6[/roll]

10/02/2018 3:35 pm  #155

(and the answer is "no, we don't have a forum dice roller")

Emral looks at the body, and at the ground around it for footprints or smear marks (ie: maybe it was dragged, ...or crawled!!!)

10/02/2018 3:39 pm  #156

I make sure he is dead by using my dagger to the back of his neck.

10/02/2018 3:45 pm  #157

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral looks at the body, and at the ground around it for footprints or smear marks (ie: maybe it was dragged, ...or crawled!!!)

Your hunch paid off, there are no trappings of firework, rather, this scorched body looks as if it burned from the inside out! 
You sense dark, arcane arts at work here.

There are footprints imprinted around the body, most all match the foot length of  -- and their directions match the general confusion of -- Malak.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/02/2018 3:47 pm)

10/02/2018 3:49 pm  #158

achiriaco wrote:

I make sure he is dead by using my dagger to the back of his neck.

Olo's neck crumbles to dust around your blade.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/02/2018 3:49 pm)

10/02/2018 3:57 pm  #159

(about to go do responsible stuff for a short bit, HOWEVER:  1) how do we pick spells? I was thinking magician.  2) by "sense dark arcane arts", do wizards have a sense of magic rather than need to cast spells?)

Emral steps back a pace and looks around, his bastard sword already in hand.  "Well. Burned to death from the inside of his body. I'm... going to need to learn that spell! Malak, are you... sure you didn't see what happened to Olo?"

10/02/2018 4:07 pm  #160

fireinthedust wrote:

(about to go do responsible stuff for a short bit, HOWEVER:  1) how do we pick spells? I was thinking magician.  2) by "sense dark arcane arts", do wizards have a sense of magic rather than need to cast spells?)

Emral steps back a pace and looks around, his bastard sword already in hand.  "Well. Burned to death from the inside of his body. I'm... going to need to learn that spell! Malak, are you... sure you didn't see what happened to Olo?"

"He went to the front of the chapel and yelled out. Something happened to him."

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.