!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2018 3:31 pm  #1

Qalupalik and "Esquimaux" Myths

I had the notion to research genuine Inuit legendry to see if there is anything IRL that hints or links with Kthulhu, as Esquimaux are portrayed in the game as ardent worshipers (following Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu). I was amazed to discover that indeed, their mythsare populated by terrible sea gods more feared than loved, appeased and obeyed out of terror and necessity. I am uncertain whether or not Lovecraft knew this, but Inuit mythology can very easily be (fictionally) extrapolated from his own Myth cycle, perhaps as an older source of later legends.
I found this great short video (5 minutes) of the legend of Qalupalik... 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijCia7gSG6I
A retelling or re-imagining of the "dead but dreaming" Old One? A mythicized interpretation of the half-Deep Ones and their penchant to return to the depths?

Edit: Tried to embed the video but kept getting a weird redirect. The link above is directly to the You Tube video.

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (7/21/2018 3:41 pm)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

7/21/2018 6:57 pm  #2

Re: Qalupalik and "Esquimaux" Myths

Interesting mythic tale.

I have run a couple higher level esquimaux character adventures at a couple convetions.

I very much enjoy the background material. Thanks!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/22/2018 9:24 pm  #3

Re: Qalupalik and "Esquimaux" Myths

Their myths and legends are fascinating.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.