!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2018 10:31 am  #1

Monster Minis

What would you say are the top 10-20 monster minis you'd need for an AS&SH campaign? I don't typically run a game that uses miniatures, but as my son gets older (he's six now), I might use them in the beginning to kickstart his interest. He's really into board games now and they all have tokens of one sort or another. Might be a perfect time to introduce a simplified fantasy RPG. I have Otherworld Minis for the adventurers, so I'd be set fine there.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/17/2018 11:52 am  #2

Re: Monster Minis

Chainsaw wrote:

What would you say are the top 10-20 monster minis you'd need for an AS&SH campaign? I don't typically run a game that uses miniatures, but as my son gets older (he's six now), I might use them in the beginning to kickstart his interest. He's really into board games now and they all have tokens of one sort or another. Might be a perfect time to introduce a simplified fantasy RPG. I have Otherworld Minis for the adventurers, so I'd be set fine there.

Yeti / vhuurmis
Apes
Snakemen
Spiders
Primitive humans
A giant snake
A couple freakishly large creature minis.

I could run games all day with these.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/17/2018 2:24 pm  #3

I would also add

Skeletons
Zombies
Tentacles
Wolves
A bear or two!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/17/2018 2:26 pm  #4

I own a ridiculous amount of miniatures but I used a surprisingly limited range for levels 1-2. If I were to start my collection from scratch I'd buy the following:

Skeletons
Zombies
Bandits
Giant Rats
Giant Centipedes
Giant Spiders
Ooze/Slime
Hirelings (torchbearer and porter)

I'd then slowly add stuff according to the needs of the game. In my case I'd choose:
Vhuurmi
Ape-Men
Pig-Faced Orcs
Cultists
Mutants/Degenerates/Cannibals
Undead (starting with ghouls and shadows)
Demons

Reaper Bones and Wizkids are good sources for cheap minis to build you collection.

A good rule of thumb is to prioritize miniatures that will get a lot of use and/or can be used for multiple applications. For example, I get a lot of mileage out of my bandit collection because the models can represent anything from outlaws to tomb robbers. Zombies and skeletons get a lot of mileage as well.

You will go broke trying to buy specific models for everything at once. I can't stress enough the utility of using the same minis to represent multiple things. I bought some cheap Reaper Bones skeleton archers in robes, hacked and carved off the bows, and now I have generic robed skeletons that can represent all sorts of things like huecuva and crypt things yet are distinct from my sword and bow skeletons. I own hundreds of fantasy minis and still do this.

Edit: I almost forgot Snake-men!

Last edited by Brock Savage (7/17/2018 2:35 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.