!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/02/2018 6:00 am  #1

Rangers and Otherworldly Enemies

Rangers have specific training to fight and know on sight certain Otherworldly enemies.  In your campaign do you give "Lore" concerning these creatures such as special abilities, habits, etc to Rangers?  Should a first level Ranger know everything about these entities?  

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/02/2018 6:59 am  #2

Re: Rangers and Otherworldly Enemies

Hmmm, I would probably impart to them the basics and divulge more on case by case basis as they gain more levels.

For example, a low-level Ranger might get, "You recognize the creature as Y, an otherworldy abombination," whereas if a mid-level Ranger found a clue, "You recognize X clue as indication of Ys in the area, an otherwordly creature from Z," whereas a high-level Ranger would likely get almost all relevant info from the entry, including any strengths and weaknesses.

Sometimes a low-level Ranger might get mid-level info or mid-level might get high-level info depending on the situation, like if they'd fought one before or were seeking one as part of a mission (basically, a reason to have studied them more specifically during training).

If a more generous ruling seems to heighten the excitement of the moment or if the player did something creative as part of the inquiry, I would probably also lean toward more over less. I generally enjoy a chance to let a PC's special ability shine.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/02/2018 8:38 am  #3

Chainsaw wrote:

If a more generous ruling seems to heighten the excitement of the moment or if the player did something creative as part of the inquiry, I would probably also lean toward more over less. I generally enjoy a chance to let a PC's special ability shine.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.  I generally lean this way as well.  It could be that they are trained in the "old fighting ways" that only begin to make sense in practical situations.  Like you said the higher the level the more they have been mentored and the more they have studied.

While in my soul forever

7/02/2018 6:55 pm  #4

Sounds like a good opportunity for d6 task resolution.

7/02/2018 9:02 pm  #5

Given the specifics of the text, I give all Rangers complete knowledge, as the training is not only thorough in identification but to understand their weaknesses, one could reasonably assume the study of all its traits and habits necessary.

7/03/2018 4:58 am  #6

Iron Ranger wrote:

Given the specifics of the text, I give all Rangers complete knowledge, as the training is not only thorough in identification but to understand their weaknesses, one could reasonably assume the study of all its traits and habits necessary.

I'll have to read it again - I was going from memory. Don't want to shortchange them.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/09/2018 1:57 am  #7

I’d probably do something like get the Ranger’s player to roll a saving throw for whether the character knows specific details (maybe with a bonus for high Int). The roll improves with level and hence the chance of the specific knowledge. (Although this does interfere a bit with the skill system, but I’d simply look the other way  )

7/09/2018 7:39 am  #8

Thanks for all the responses.  I will likely give the character knowledge of various powers but the alien agenda would preclude them from knowing exactly when, how, and why they would use them.

While in my soul forever

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.