!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2014 11:06 am  #1

Big Trouble In Little China

I love this movie but it might seem to be an odd choice as an inspiration for a Hyperborea campaign. I think, though, that it is easy to strip out the modern elements and see what a wonderful swords&sorcery adventure they've presented. Evil sorceror, check. Group of adventurers traveling through a dungeon (led by a wizard) to defeat the sorceror in his own lair, check. Rival clans fighting, but one is in league with the sorceror, kidnapped maidens, evil monsters, powerful otherworldly servants of the sorcerer, magic potions... While tongue in cheek this is one of the best D&D movies ever made (and none of them were ever labeled D&D).

It is more than just straight-up D&D. The real world, the modern world, is only a veneer over a world of magic, Gods and sorcery. That part is especially what I like in my Hyperborean campaign. 

3/04/2014 4:28 pm  #2

Re: Big Trouble In Little China

Yes, an absolute classic. I agree -- so much S&S inspiration there, yet fun, too. My personal favorite Carpenter film is In the Mouth of Madness.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/04/2014 5:20 pm  #3

Spot on, Jason! Definitely a classic adventure story! I have seen "In the Mouth of Madness," must check it out soon

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/04/2014 6:16 pm  #4

Ghul wrote:

Yes, an absolute classic. I agree -- so much S&S inspiration there, yet fun, too. My personal favorite Carpenter film is In the Mouth of Madness.

In The Mouth of Madness shows that you can make an excellent Lovecraft film.

3/05/2014 10:43 am  #5

I love Big Trouble In Little China. 

It's all in the reflexes! 

Also, I've never watched In The Mouth of Madness. I should now.

3/05/2014 11:15 am  #6

Benoist wrote:

I love Big Trouble In Little China. 

It's all in the reflexes! 

Also, I've never watched In The Mouth of Madness. I should now.

The Mouth of Madness is great in a frightening way. Sam Neil is the perfect Lovecraft character. He does, normal, brave, insane all so well. You might also want to give the sci-fi film Event Horizon a try which is basicly Lovecraft in space.

Last edited by JasonZavoda (3/05/2014 2:50 pm)

3/05/2014 1:20 pm  #7

I second Event Horizon, I was working in a theater when it released and it blew our minds.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

10/17/2016 4:22 am  #8

Ghul wrote:

Huh, crazy. Early this afternoon I introduced the gf to both In the Mouth of Madness and Big Trouble In Little China. Both of those flicks are an amazing intro to pulp and horror (she's 21 and an rpg newbie). 

10/02/2022 1:43 am  #9

Best posts and great taste (unlike some still here).
will be missed. 
respect 

...before fatidic silver pools on a auspicious night stood a Hyperborean Xathoqquan priestess; stripping naked like a beast crawling in on all fours in supplication...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.