!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2018 3:24 pm  #41

Re: Escaping "engaged in melee" as a spellcaster

Right, well, in this example, like we already talked about, Anfar won initiative, so because of that, he's either going to do one of the following, based on however you elect to resolve it:

1. He blows past Chandra and attacks Bedic. (This is how I'd do it; YMMV)
2. Chandra gets in his way, so he attacks her first(*), instead.
3. He tries to blow past Chandra, but you have decided that she should get a free attack on the passing Anfar for completely ignoring her. (Again, not a bad idea, but probably not how I'd do it.)

(*) = If you are using weapon class (WC) rules, she might get to attack first, despite losing initiative, if her weapon is 2 classes larger than his.  

I'm pretty familiar with how B/X works, but I had to look up ACKs, because I forgot what the acronym stood for, but now I recall it well. There is a fellow who on G+ who posts about his game, which is his personal mash-up of ACKs and AS&SH. But I don't know anything about the game, other than folks saying it's great if you want your character to build a keep or castle some day.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/26/2018 3:35 pm  #42

Re: Escaping "engaged in melee" as a spellcaster

Ghul wrote:

Right, well, in this example, like we already talked about, Anfar won initiative, so because of that, he's either going to do one of the following, based on however you elect to resolve it:

1. He blows past Chandra and attacks Bedic. (This is how I'd do it; YMMV)
2. Chandra gets in his way, so he attacks her first(*), instead.
3. He tries to blow past Chandra, but you have decided that she should get a free attack on the passing Anfar for completely ignoring her. (Again, not a bad idea, but probably not how I'd do it.)

(*) = If you are using weapon class (WC) rules, she might get to attack first, despite losing initiative, if her weapon is 2 classes larger than his.  

I'm pretty familiar with how B/X works, but I had to look up ACKs, because I forgot what the acronym stood for, but now I recall it well. There is a fellow who on G+ who posts about his game, which is his personal mash-up of ACKs and AS&SH. But I don't know anything about the game, other than folks saying it's great if you want your character to build a keep or castle some day.

Get Chandra a Pike!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.