!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2018 4:19 pm  #1

Converting 1ed adventure to 2ed rules

Hello all!! Long time player, first time poster! I am about to run my first game ever as a GM and I'm super excited to introduce my home group to the awesome world of Hyperborea!! I have a few questions though, and was wondering if anyone ran by this either.  But I've noticed the stats for some monsters are different in 1ed than they are in 2ed. Should I convert the 1ed stats to 2ed? Would this have a great impact on the gameplay? Should I convert the whole adventure? I just don't want to TPK my party in 4sessions haha. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

3/06/2018 6:58 pm  #2

Re: Converting 1ed adventure to 2ed rules

Welcome to the boards! This is an awesome community.
Someone will likely answer this more to your satisfaction, but I would say don't even worry about it and run it as is to avoid extra work. These OSR games aren't really all that keen about "balanced encounters" to the party. You'll notice a lack of anagrams like "CR" "APL" and so forth. That's a feature, not an omission. The general idea is to be fair in your rough ideas of what you think the group can handle--or not. It's the players' responsibility to gauge situations and play accordingly.

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (3/06/2018 7:02 pm)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

3/06/2018 9:01 pm  #3

Howdy, Krom​, and welcome to the board! Our design goal with the Second Edition release was 99% compatibility with the Original Edition. A few monsters may have had some minor tweaks, but nothing that should significantly impact your game. What differences are you seeing that concern you?

3/07/2018 12:45 am  #4

Thanks for the replies! That's a huge relief about the compatibility. My concern came from seeing differences in saving throws. The differences are of 2 or 3 but that's what got me wondering if there was this need to balance something out

3/07/2018 7:39 am  #5

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Welcome to the boards! This is an awesome community.
Someone will likely answer this more to your satisfaction, but I would say don't even worry about it and run it as is to avoid extra work. These OSR games aren't really all that keen about "balanced encounters" to the party. You'll notice a lack of anagrams like "CR" "APL" and so forth. That's a feature, not an omission. The general idea is to be fair in your rough ideas of what you think the group can handle--or not. It's the players' responsibility to gauge situations and play accordingly.

So true. I'm not sure I could play a game anymore where "balance" is deemed necessary. I certainly couldn't run that way.

Welcome Krom!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/07/2018 1:40 pm  #6

I'm not sure what adventures you were asking about, but Beneath the Comet was never "balanced" in the first place.
Well, I guess "heads you die, tails I kill you" is sort of balanced...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/07/2018 1:45 pm  #7

KromLaffs@your4Winds wrote:

Thanks for the replies! That's a huge relief about the compatibility. My concern came from seeing differences in saving throws. The differences are of 2 or 3 but that's what got me wondering if there was this need to balance something out

To respond more seriously, saving throws are based on the table (which didn't change) and monster hit dice (which changed barely, if at all) so it's really weird if the saving throws are different.
Can you give an example?

Last edited by Blackadder23 (3/07/2018 1:47 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/08/2018 1:51 pm  #8

KromLaffs@your4Winds wrote:

Hello all!! Long time player, first time poster! I am about to run my first game ever as a GM and I'm super excited to introduce my home group to the awesome world of Hyperborea!! I have a few questions though, and was wondering if anyone ran by this either. But I've noticed the stats for some monsters are different in 1ed than they are in 2ed. Should I convert the 1ed stats to 2ed? Would this have a great impact on the gameplay? Should I convert the whole adventure? I just don't want to TPK my party in 4sessions haha. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't sweat it. I TPKed my party second session on the introductory adventure. Everybody still had fun and most of them are still gaming with me

Has anyone seen one? Has anyone seen one in a hundred years??

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.