!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2018 12:09 pm  #1

The 13th Warrior.

Am I alone in loving this flick? A group of warriors summoned by a king to fight off a bunch of guys named Wendol? Seriously, North men warriors, witches. cannibals, Great adventure movie and retelling of the Beowulf story. 

Has anyone seen one? Has anyone seen one in a hundred years??

2/22/2018 12:31 pm  #2

Re: The 13th Warrior.

No.  You are certainly not alone.  This is a great movie and gives me hope that they could actually make a great Conan, Kull, Bran, movie some day.....

They seem to be able to do it right with Vikings. It shouldn't be hard to transition to a slightly different genre with some fantastic elements and different people groups.  Oh well.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/22/2018 1:14 pm  #3

Oh man if they put the effort they put into 13th Warrior into a third Conan! that would be it! 

2/26/2018 7:51 am  #4

Absolutely love the movie, but as a Norse History buff, very broken (just need to say one word, Armor, and you'll understand)... But great entertainment though...

Last edited by BlackKnight (2/26/2018 7:52 am)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

2/26/2018 7:56 am  #5

BlackKnight wrote:

Absolutely love the movie, but as a Norse History buff, very broken (just need to say one word, Armor, and you'll understand)... But great entertainment though...

Can't remember the armor gaff. Too enamored with the movie.

While in my soul forever

2/26/2018 3:04 pm  #6

mabon5127 wrote:

BlackKnight wrote:

Can't remember the armor gaff. Too enamored with the movie.

totally understand what you are saying. I did read or watch some thing on youtube that at least made sense of why it was so out of wack. Costume designer basically trying to show everybody as an individual, so they ended up in crazy armor that at a glance anybody with even a shred of a clue on the subject realizes it's wrong. I have no problem overlooking it. I totally want to play a campaign that is just a big rip off of the movie but with the Wendols being creatures.

2/26/2018 4:23 pm  #7

In the book the wendols are extant Neanderthals.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

2/26/2018 6:16 pm  #8

I will chime in with my appreciation for this flick. I heard it was terrible and skipped it until last year. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying it immensely.

2/26/2018 6:19 pm  #9

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

In the book the wendols are extant Neanderthals.

That's cool I started the book last night.

2/27/2018 10:38 am  #10

Last summer(?), Jason Cook came down to Brooklyn and ran a 13th Warrior game for us at the Dwarvenforge studios using Chainmail, OD&D, and AD&D for three separate battle scenes from the movie. He had built the sets and provided minis. A ton of fun.

2/27/2018 1:14 pm  #11

Handy Haversack wrote:

Last summer(?), Jason Cook came down to Brooklyn and ran a 13th Warrior game for us at the Dwarvenforge studios using Chainmail, OD&D, and AD&D for three separate battle scenes from the movie. He had built the sets and provided minis. A ton of fun.

I am seriously jealous. Did you take pics??

2/27/2018 1:29 pm  #12

I did . . . I think maybe I put a few on G+? Jason's running a bunch of awesome stuff at GaryCon this year if you're going to that.

2/27/2018 1:44 pm  #13

While in my soul forever

2/27/2018 1:47 pm  #14

Ran the same game at Trident Con.

While in my soul forever

2/27/2018 3:52 pm  #15

Great pics thanks for sharing!

2/27/2018 6:19 pm  #16

Nice!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/27/2018 6:56 pm  #17

mabon5127 wrote:

Ran the same game at Trident Con.

Hmmm, I may have to attend this year, especially if you'll be running it or some AS&SH.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

2/27/2018 7:15 pm  #18

Oops!  I believe a Mr Hoffman ran the event not I. Sorry.  Though I do run ASSH at Trident Con.  

While in my soul forever

2/28/2018 12:04 pm  #19

I believe I would argue Herger being 6' though =p

2/28/2018 12:18 pm  #20

Thrasaric wrote:

I believe I would argue Herger being 6' though =p

Agreed, he wasn't much taller than Antonio, and he's only like 5'8"

In fact, when I look at the group of them together, Buliwyf is the one I picture when I think of the "typical" Norse Fighter, Maybe Halga and Hyglak also, but Buliwyf is the stand out....

Last edited by BlackKnight (2/28/2018 12:25 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.