!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2018 7:41 am  #1

Side Treks

Last night on our regularly scheduled game night we had four (mainly due to this crazy flu) of the normal 8-9 reavers to continue the game.  Once again I took out Ben's Random Sword and Sorcery adventure generator and within a few minutes began running a side trek to the main adventure.  We played for about 3 hours and had a great time.  

My questions are how often do others use side adventures, how do you incorporate the adventure into the ongoing campaign, and what are other strategies for handling a sudden drop in numbers?

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/24/2018 9:27 am  #2

Re: Side Treks

Glad to hear somebody is still getting some use out of that thing.
To answer your question: I really don't distinguish between "side adventures" and any other kind. Whatever the players decide to do is the adventure.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/24/2018 5:39 pm  #3

Blackadder23 wrote:

Glad to hear somebody is still getting some use out of that thing.
To answer your question: I really don't distinguish between "side adventures" and any other kind. Whatever the players decide to do is the adventure.

The side adventure was driven by the fact that the larger group was in the middle of an adventure the smaller group could not finish. 

The random generator is a great piece that at least with my vote I would encourage you to expand not the number of charts but the possibilities!! 

The effect of using the RG forces me to work off the cuff improving my game. Its like personal training for the GM!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/24/2018 6:37 pm  #4

I like to run my campaigns sort of like a videogame. I'll have a grand campaign arc of sorts, and then little side "quests" that the PC's can choose to invest in or not. I usually make these side quests more personal or character driven. So, an assassination for the assassin, maybe a wanted criminal for the huntsman, some black market intrigue or political stuff, a magical artifact or lost ruin rumor, etc. Or, if a character has some ongoing background/personal thing, I'll drop something about that into the stew.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

2/26/2018 6:22 pm  #5

Grimmshade wrote:

I like to run my campaigns sort of like a videogame.

I shamelessly rip off video games for campaign and adventure structure. For example, GTA V has a great formula for heists.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.