!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2018 12:26 pm  #1

"The Ritual" on Netflix.

I think this is a new film, released on Netflix within the last couple of weeks.  Wifey and I watched it last night and I thought is was pretty darn good, and maybe of use for inspirational fodder.  It's a horror film set in modern times.  The gist:  A group of Englishmen are on a hiking expedition in the forests of northern Sweden when they run afoul of some very old magic- and the god behind it.  I'll skip going into more detail and will let you all judge for yourselves.

2/18/2018 2:49 pm  #2

Re: "The Ritual" on Netflix.

Watched it last night - super fun little movie, definitely could be relocated into anyone’s Hyperborea campaign as an adventure.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/18/2018 4:41 pm  #3

Cool, I'll check it out!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/18/2018 4:54 pm  #4

Thank you, always looking for movies to watch especially inspiration fodder for gaming.
Watched it straight away last night. I loved it. The "God" will make its way into one of my games at some point.

Last edited by Thrasaric (2/19/2018 6:07 am)

Has anyone seen one? Has anyone seen one in a hundred years??

2/19/2018 7:22 am  #5

Thrasaric wrote:

Watched it straight away last night. I loved it. The "God" will make its way into one of my games at some point.

Nice!

2/19/2018 12:06 pm  #6

Great movie.  I think there was a message in there somewhere but in spite of that the movie will be great fodder. The look of the creature was original as well.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/19/2018 1:54 pm  #7

Started it last night, but the opening scene in the liquor store had my wife saying, "Nope, can't watch it!" 

I'll have to continue that one solo another time. ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/19/2018 3:24 pm  #8

It was okay. My wife read the book and apparently they changed a lot (there were elements in the book that were clearly inspired by "The Dunwich Horror").

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/19/2018 3:41 pm  #9

Man, I had the flu this weekend and was desperate for stuff to watch to get me through. I was looking for this post but for some reason thought it had been on G+. Will find.

I did watch a pretty nutsoid movie James Raggi recommended as being very LotFP, Tonight She Comes. It was as advertised! A good horror movie, but not for the faint of gut. Good gaming material, though.

Also Creed, which had less gaming stuff.

2/19/2018 9:44 pm  #10

Well, OK then. Not bad. Though one thing it could have used a touch more of us is a sense of humor, I think. And less of the Blair Witch part to get to more of the Cult of the Reptile God part!

But yeah, cool-looking monster.

2/20/2018 11:43 am  #11

Handy Haversack wrote:

...And less of the Blair Witch part...

Yea, it did employ some well worn horror film tropes, but at least not with shaky cam-corder video.  The BWP, imo, was one of the biggest cinematic let downs of all time.  If they had put as much work into the actual film as they did the hype campaign, it might have been passable 

Oh, and I'll be on the lookout for "Tonight She Comes."  Thanks!

Last edited by BinaryTortuga (2/20/2018 11:46 am)

2/20/2018 11:47 am  #12

I made time for this last night.  Thank you, Binary, for the recommendation.

I'd just prior been investigating Crom Cruach (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crom_Cruach) and his purported agent the Dullahan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dullahan) of Ireland, and could not help but see the connection.

AS&SH campaign-worthy for sure!

2/23/2018 6:55 pm  #13

Handy Haversack wrote:

I did watch a pretty nutsoid movie James Raggi recommended as being very LotFP, Tonight She Comes. It was as advertised! A good horror movie, but not for the faint of gut. Good gaming material, though.

My wife and I love horror movies, but we watched this tonight and weren’t impressed.

My review: Seemed like a really pretentious soundtrack and a few standard horror gimmicks trying to prop up a boring story, which I could overlook if it had been fun. Instead, the whole thing felt like misery tourism (maybe why Raggi likes it?). I kept looking at the clock, wondering why I didn’t watch Cabin Fever or You’re Next! instead. I guess I’m not drunk enough to see the Emperor’s new clothes? 

Hers: “That was stupid.”

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.