!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2017 8:23 pm  #41

Re: Ascending AC

Handy Haversack wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

When I run games, I tell people to tell me what AC they hit. Usually they roll d20, adjust for bonuses/penalties, then refer to the scale on their character sheet (if they prefer to do the math instead, I'm indifferent) and tell me "I hit AC 2" or whatever. I tell them whether that's a hit or not. Usually after a round or two, everyone zeros in on the antagonist's AC, which is fine, but at first there's still mystery around "How tough is this thing?"

Yeah, me, too, Chainsaw.

Same here.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

2/03/2017 11:29 pm  #42

Just used Target20 for the first time in last ssession and there was no combat for about 4 hrs of the 4  1/2 hr session!  But it worked for me pretty well especially for the one creature I had to run.  I normally only look at the tables when somethings close anyway but still it made things easier.

3/21/2017 8:36 am  #43

chrisj wrote:

I use ascending AC in my campaign and find it much faster. d20 + Fighting Ability (or hit dice for monsters) + attribute bonus + magic bonus >= AC is a hit. Much easier for me to DM and for new players to learn. To compute ascending AC, I subtract descending AC from 20.

This is what I use. My group is almost exclusively 3e era friendly and on newer players. While I prefer to allure and nostalgia of descending AC, it's a minor concession for me to use Ascending AC to get them to try a game like this.  

8/03/2017 9:06 am  #44

chrisj wrote:

While I vastly prefer ascending AC for play, I still tend to think in terms of descending AC. When someone says plate and shield, I think AC 2 not AC 18.

I agree. The old school armor values are burned into my mind but I'm never going back to descending AC.  I don't care for the needlessly complex and "optimize or die!" feel of 3.x but it did initiate some welcome changes to the inherently clunky and unintuitive D&D system. 

12/21/2017 4:12 pm  #45

Because I intend to use the "players roll all dice variant" I get to use both systems, intuitive to both sides of the screen. On the player end, they just add their armor+shield+DEX+other bonus to their D20 defense check vs 11+monster's to hit bonus. On my end, I get to use the monster ACs as is, adding it to their D20 roll to hit DC20.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.