!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2017 4:32 pm  #1

AS&SH 2nd edition Prayer Books

So I've been slowly reading the hardback and came across the passage Jeff hinted at in this thread about Clerics appropriating prayer books of other Clerics (p.137 of 2e). I like the rule, and have been using something similar for all Sorcerers in my game. Just curious if others have been using this very loosely-described rule?

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

12/06/2017 7:14 pm  #2

Re: AS&SH 2nd edition Prayer Books

Great idea to use that rule for other sorcerers. I'll be using it for one school to learn spells from another. Running a Hyborian Age campaign, I sometimes need someone to learn spells across schools to better line up with what we see in the Conan stories.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

12/06/2017 8:59 pm  #3

Absolutely. Clerics (and the sub-classes) gaining their eldritch powers from studying the secret scriptures and rites of their order/cult/etc. is very much a S&S element (to me at least). The "D&D-ish" method of spells being granted through prayer is not. It also emphasizes the distant and aloof nature of the Gods in the game, IMO.

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

12/07/2017 11:46 am  #4

I have been using this concept for awhile and love that it has become standard fare in AS&SH.  Do you only have them use "Ancient texts" or do you allow them to create their own prayer books and require them to create special inks and pens?

Last edited by Thrasaric (12/07/2017 11:48 am)

Has anyone seen one? Has anyone seen one in a hundred years??

12/07/2017 6:58 pm  #5

I really like how AS&SH handles cleric spells. It's one of many elements that distinguish Hyperborea from the glut of fantasy settings on the market.

12/07/2017 7:06 pm  #6

I have broadly re-interpreted the rule as: any sorcerer can study any sorcerous script (magician, cleric or any of the sorcerous subclasses) and attempt to learn its secrets, with some attendant risk. The chance to learn is based on the Magician/Cleric Chance to Learn New Spell (d% vs. Int or Wis, as per Tables 4 & 5), the risk of some misfortune striking is a Non-Standard Task resolution (throw of x-in-6, as per p.137) and then avoiding the misfortune triggers a Sorcery Saving Throw.

This is part of my general "Yes, but..." attitude when it comes to rules: you can try just about anything, but there's usually risk.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.