!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/14/2016 2:32 pm  #1

village, town, etc. spacing

I'm reviewing my Stonebrook work and I have 2 towns near it: Grassroad and Hillvale. Grassroad is about 18 miles from Stonebrook and 18 miles from Hillvale.

Looking at the travel tables that seems just about right since they are sort of vassals to the monarchs in Stonebrook and that puts the towns about a day's travel from one to the next.

What? Me worry?

9/14/2016 7:26 pm  #2

Re: village, town, etc. spacing

Sounds right to me, gizmo. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/11/2017 6:08 am  #3

Hi Giz

I probably noticed this post 2+ years back when I first join this site, but probably raced through it. Now I have read this post again yesterday, I realised it might be interesting to add to my Grey Coast maps (as Stonebrook is on it's lower left corner) any interesting locations others have created.

Any chance of the descriptions, population and any useful rumour, personalities (i.e. town mayor or chief).
Also a rough idea of location on map. is Grassroad 18 miles north of Stonebrook for example.

10/11/2017 12:48 pm  #4

I can dig through what I've got and place them in context of the 2e maps and your maps.

What? Me worry?

10/12/2017 4:40 am  #5

That be great Giz!

11/20/2017 9:05 am  #6

Hey Giz, did you ever find the stuff?

11/20/2017 9:38 am  #7

Hmmm, I don't seem to have notes about Stonebrook nor the 2 towns/villages nearby.

But here are the maps I have.

What? Me worry?

11/20/2017 9:41 am  #8

I'm planning on doing more work on Stonebrook. I think it needs more towers (it is know for it's trebuchets and such :-)

I think have I have Grassroad only having a palisade and Hillvale barely that.

I stuck the Tomb of the Iron God about a day's ride north of Hillvale.

I had my Lost Ranger Patrol a few days west of Stonebrook into the Lug.

What? Me worry?

11/20/2017 9:52 am  #9

I found the map of your's I was using as a reference and I think this is roughly where the 2 towns/villages are.

What? Me worry?

11/20/2017 9:55 am  #10

Grassland is roughly 18 miles from Stonebrook and Hillvale is about 18 miles from Grassland. That is a day's walk (18 miles) for someone with 30 MV.

What? Me worry?

11/20/2017 11:41 am  #11

Very nice work, gizmo! I'm especially fond of what you put together for the bottom map on post #7. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/20/2017 12:42 pm  #12

Ghul wrote:

Very nice work, gizmo! I'm especially fond of what you put together for the bottom map on post #7. 

Thanks, Ghul!

I think I want to make the town a tiny bit bigger to give some more potential for shenanigans there. I also want do some more with the surrounding area (put some farms and such in there).

I just quickly created this and I have meant to go back and do a bit more work on it. Not a whole lot but enough to give me a framework to work with. Maybe even for folks to grab and spark their own ideas.

I always forget how close this area is to Brigands Bay and how that would/should create a bit of mayhem. :-)

What? Me worry?

11/21/2017 7:20 am  #13

Indeed, cheer Giz, was not expecting maps, great!

Well, when you get more work, please post when you can, I add to my map the two villages for now and will post it soon, it is as finished as it can get.

Any rough idea of population of Villages?

Yeah, Brigand's Bays a killer!

Last edited by Caveman (11/21/2017 7:29 am)

11/21/2017 10:04 am  #14

My best guess would be maybe 500 each. Maybe say 300-400 at Grassland and 100-200 at Hillvale. I'm just guessing that based on Stonebrook being 2,000 and its vassal towns wouldn't be too close in size.

They are at the extreme edge of Stonebrooks rule per the Gazetteer.

I think my rough outline for improvements would be to include a few tiny towns beyond these two. They would be out of Stonebrooks direct rule. Throw in some smaller holdings between Stonebrook, Grassland, and Hillvale but are not much more than a grouping of farmers and such.

What? Me worry?

11/21/2017 10:21 am  #15

Cheers Giz

I just added the map of Grey Coast, to my Blackmarsh posts. I did add a new village north of Greenroad (Greenland?) called Farvalley and a new coastal town called Blackhaven, just to extend the life in area. I guess we just cannot perceive what another is thinking half-way around the planet, damn!

Cheers for help!

11/21/2017 12:56 pm  #16

I have a road heading "east" (as near as such in hyperborea) out of Stonebrook. I hadn't decided where it will go other than "Brigands Bay area".

What? Me worry?

11/24/2017 8:31 am  #17

Yeah, that the one I turn southward to make for a coastal town of Blackhaven!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.