!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/01/2017 7:50 pm  #1

Serpent Ring of Set

Had a go at making the Serpent Ring of Set for my Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of the Hyborian Age campaign.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_hiUrL-PNn0eVBhYVNIX3V4d1E/view?usp=sharing

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

11/02/2017 11:50 am  #2

Re: Serpent Ring of Set

Great Grimm, I very interested in any changes to the magic system (spells) you may have done to suit the Hyborian Age also for Conan, and love the relation to the Hyborian age for this set of rules (no pun there ). Cannot wait to see your ideas for other items; like Khemsa girdle "

11/02/2017 12:20 pm  #3

Thanks Caveman!
Khemsa's girdle, the Globe of Yezud, as well as Epimetrius blessed blades, and the meteorite Yuetshi dagger, etc., are all on the agenda.

Right now I'm trying to work out which Hyperborean lands are closest to Hyborian Age lands/kingdoms so I can use some of the awesome encounter tables for this game.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

11/03/2017 6:59 am  #4

Grimmshade wrote:

Thanks Caveman!
Khemsa's girdle, the Globe of Yezud, as well as Epimetrius blessed blades, and the meteorite Yuetshi dagger, etc., are all on the agenda.

Right now I'm trying to work out which Hyperborean lands are closest to Hyborian Age lands/kingdoms so I can use some of the awesome encounter tables for this game.

Harbinger of doom here, was wondering (after my brain started working later in afternoon, it needs heat and food to work). What you think of Thoth-amon slavery, he seemed weakened by the lost of ring. Mongoose, made it that the ring once gained granted power, but once lost sapped him, so in theory he gained ring a 10th level, was 20th level when ring was stolen, so he dropped back to 10th level via some curse-like effect and felt dejected and fled Stygia?

Yeah, nice idea, pity it is a colder areas in Hyperborea; as a lot of Hyborian Age is in warmer climates!

11/03/2017 8:09 am  #5

Thoth-Amon's loss of power in The Phoenix on the Sword is one of the quandaries that stumps many game systems! I didn't like Mongoose's explanation, and I really hate the Modiphius 2d20 explanation (he's just obsessed with the ring.)

In ASSH, it's easily explained! The ability to summon demons with the Ring is what kept the other sorcerers at bay. Once the Ring was stolen, Thoth-Amon had to flee Stygia quickly. He didn't have time to take his spell books with him, and so once he had cast all of his memorized spells, he had no way to memorize them again. I'll probably revise the document to include that actually.

In the story itself, it was probably something similar. Each sorcerer in the Conan stories seems to have a different method of sorcery (which makes a Class mechanics RPG system work pretty well to simulate it.) Thoth-Amon seems to have gained his demon summoning power from the Ring. In the story, he can't cast magic without the Ring, which means it is either his only source of power, or he had to leave all of his magical paraphernalia behind as I described above.

Rambling Conan Blog

11/03/2017 8:35 am  #6

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your work.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

11/04/2017 8:39 am  #7

Grimmshade wrote:

Thoth-Amon's loss of power in The Phoenix on the Sword is one of the quandaries that stumps many game systems! I didn't like Mongoose's explanation, and I really hate the Modiphius 2d20 explanation (he's just obsessed with the ring.)

In ASSH, it's easily explained! The ability to summon demons with the Ring is what kept the other sorcerers at bay. Once the Ring was stolen, Thoth-Amon had to flee Stygia quickly. He didn't have time to take his spell books with him, and so once he had cast all of his memorized spells, he had no way to memorize them again. I'll probably revise the document to include that actually.

In the story itself, it was probably something similar. Each sorcerer in the Conan stories seems to have a different method of sorcery (which makes a Class mechanics RPG system work pretty well to simulate it.) Thoth-Amon seems to have gained his demon summoning power from the Ring. In the story, he can't cast magic without the Ring, which means it is either his only source of power, or he had to leave all of his magical paraphernalia behind as I described above.

Well thought, cheers Grimm, it might be he was 1st level with a powerful ring!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.