!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/12/2017 8:07 pm  #21

Re: How many are starting a new campaign with the 2nd edition?

Starting a home campaign set in the Hyborian Age.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

10/13/2017 6:26 am  #22

foxroe wrote:

OT: Does anyone have any experience in running AS&SH for complete RPG newbies? Did you attempt to simplify things even further, or did you throw your player's to the wolves? How'd it go?

I started my son (9 years' old at the time, now 11) with AS&SH, and while it did take some explaining when to roll which die (he had a Thief to start, so needed to learn d20 for combat, d6 for initiative and non-standard tasks, d12 for Thief abilities, etc.), the system is transparent enough that it went fine.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/13/2017 6:34 am  #23

I've been letting my group know I want to get back to AS&SH when 2e was available in print (I only use PDFs for quick searching a pulling out the bits I need: I have a hard time reading them as I would a physical book). While they have two groups of PCs in my campaign world (one 6th - 7th level, one their henchmen run as a one-off that turned into a mini-campaign of now 3rd level) I've been itching to do a Viking-themed game, set in my version of Earth, post-Atlantean apocalypse (codename "Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Old Terra", or SSOOT, pronounced "soot" ).

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

10/13/2017 6:50 am  #24

I am porting all of my current family campaign (13y/o and 10y/o boys) to hyperborea they will be swept to hyperborea and 2e in a retro recal not unlike ravenloft back in the day!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

10/13/2017 7:13 am  #25

Grimmshade wrote:

Starting a home campaign set in the Hyborian Age.

Of course!  I'm thinking its gonna be pretty awesome!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/13/2017 7:15 am  #26

rhialto wrote:

I've been letting my group know I want to get back to AS&SH when 2e was available in print (I only use PDFs for quick searching a pulling out the bits I need: I have a hard time reading them as I would a physical book). While they have two groups of PCs in my campaign world (one 6th - 7th level, one their henchmen run as a one-off that turned into a mini-campaign of now 3rd level) I've been itching to do a Viking-themed game, set in my version of Earth, post-Atlantean apocalypse (codename "Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Old Terra", or SSOOT, pronounced "soot" ).

Will you try to balance the character classes or let everyone play what they want? You mentioned a viking theme would this mandate the race or any class selections?

While in my soul forever

10/13/2017 7:16 am  #27

mavfire wrote:

I am porting all of my current family campaign (13y/o and 10y/o boys) to hyperborea they will be swept to hyperborea and 2e in a retro recal not unlike ravenloft back in the day!

I love to hear folks playing with their kids moving the tradition to the next generation!

While in my soul forever

10/13/2017 11:59 am  #28

mabon5127 wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Will you try to balance the character classes or let everyone play what they want? You mentioned a viking theme would this mandate the race or any class selections?

I won't ban anything, but in keeping with the theme I'd strongly urge them to play an appropriate class. To enforce the theme I've toyed with simple renaming of the classes for Viking characters:
Fighter becomes Huscarle
Barbarian becomes TBD
Cleric becomes Godi
Berserker stays the same
Etc.

But in keeping with my "no significant house-rules" I wouldn't alter the classes aside from a name change.
I'd also probably use thematic elements from Vikings and Valkyries, as well as other Viking resources (some gaming, some historical, some fictional). By "thematic elements" I mean things like divine blessings, using looted weapons and armor bestowing curses, etc.

10/13/2017 11:59 am  #29

mabon5127 wrote:

mavfire wrote:

I love to hear folks playing with their kids moving the tradition to the next generation!

My son is already talking about DMing for his friends. 

10/13/2017 12:47 pm  #30

Actually, I've made the decision to use AS&SH for eveything, from here on out.  All my home campaigns and FRPG con games will now be run with AS&SH.

10/13/2017 2:08 pm  #31

Look what arrived this afternoon!

10/13/2017 4:47 pm  #32

francisca wrote:

Actually, I've made the decision to use AS&SH for eveything, from here on out.  All my home campaigns and FRPG con games will now be run with AS&SH.

Same boat.  Though I do run some con games with Hollow Earth Expedition (Jonny Quest, Thundarr, and their ilk)

While in my soul forever

10/13/2017 4:49 pm  #33

rhialto wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

rhialto wrote:

I won't ban anything, but in keeping with the theme I'd strongly urge them to play an appropriate class. To enforce the theme I've toyed with simple renaming of the classes for Viking characters:
Fighter becomes Huscarle
Barbarian becomes TBD
Cleric becomes Godi
Berserker stays the same
Etc.

But in keeping with my "no significant house-rules" I wouldn't alter the classes aside from a name change.
I'd also probably use thematic elements from Vikings and Valkyries, as well as other Viking resources (some gaming, some historical, some fictional). By "thematic elements" I mean things like divine blessings, using looted weapons and armor bestowing curses, etc.

Sounds really neat. I like the name changes to set the mood.

While in my soul forever

10/13/2017 4:56 pm  #34

Im pretty sure with the new subclasses there will be some experimentation by the players. I would really like to meet with them individually so there is no peer pressure or team driven decisions. So if it's 3 pyromancers 2 assasins and a berserker so be it. Let's go adventuring!

While in my soul forever

10/13/2017 5:25 pm  #35

mabon5127 wrote:

Im pretty sure with the new subclasses there will be some experimentation by the players. I would really like to meet with them individually so there is no peer pressure or team driven decisions. So if it's 3 pyromancers 2 assasins and a berserker so be it. Let's go adventuring!

Exactly so: let's have fun, don't worry about party composition. They'll be decomposing soon enough anyway...

10/13/2017 5:33 pm  #36

rhialto wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Exactly so: let's have fun, don't worry about party composition. They'll be decomposing soon enough anyway...

Haha!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/13/2017 7:43 pm  #37

rhialto wrote:

Curse you Delivery Man! CURSE YOU! You were to deliver to me first! ME FIRST!
What's the dark covered Hyperborea thingy in the lower left?

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

10/14/2017 5:32 am  #38

foxroe wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Curse you Delivery Man! CURSE YOU! You were to deliver to me first! ME FIRST!
What's the dark covered Hyperborea thingy in the lower left?

The folded map from the back of the book.

10/14/2017 9:28 pm  #39

francisca wrote:

Gosh, I'm flattered, Rich! I'm delighted to hear you enjoy it that much. Cheers!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/14/2017 9:31 pm  #40

mabon5127 wrote:

The purloiner has been a popular choice in my home game.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.