!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/08/2017 10:59 pm  #1

Classes and subclasses - do they mix?

I’m just reading the pdf and was wondering how well the classes mix with the subclasses during play? Do they get overshadowed?

Thanks!

10/09/2017 7:09 am  #2

Re: Classes and subclasses - do they mix?

From practical experience I have had a group that has played a variety of classes and sub-classes and found they all mix well.  The sub-classes are more popular with my players, one plays a fighter and all the rest have played sub-classes.  I think the sub-classes are so intriguing that folks want to try them.  

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/10/2017 8:48 am  #3

Re: Classes and subclasses - do they mix?

I think the classes are not overshadowed by the subclasses, as far as capability goes. It was actually a strong consideration during the design of the game. Now, as far as popularity goes, sure there are a lot of folks out there intrigued by the concept of a scout instead of a thief, or a pyromancer instead of a magician, but it is mostly because they want to explore concepts that they would enjoy playing and role-playing. From a mechanical standpoint, the classes cannot be discounted as less than the subclasses. Of course, we had the benefit of hindsight, after decades of playing AD&D and seeing the power-creep in the subclasses presented in The Dragon (yes, I know, many were intended to be NPC classes, but we all used them BITD) and also the subclasses presented in UA.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.