!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2017 9:51 am  #1

Game questions

If you do a combat withdrawal, the opponent has a chance to advance after you for free, correct? What if they have a lower MV than you?

Does the Bola (and similar weapons) impose the Hindered penalty when held fast by it? Can a held opponent choose to attack rather than break free?

Are things like drawing a weapon considered an action? 

If an enemy runs past an adjacent squarer on the way to attack someone else, etc., can you take a free attack?

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

9/29/2017 7:47 pm  #2

Re: Game questions

Grimmshade wrote:

If you do a combat withdrawal, the opponent has a chance to advance after you for free, correct? What if they have a lower MV than you?

​I'm not sure that the opponent advances "for free"; I think he's still limited by his MV. If he can't catch you, then you can escape the melee.

Grimmshade wrote:

Does the Bola (and similar weapons) impose the Hindered penalty when held fast by it? Can a held opponent choose to attack rather than break free?

​I'd say the bola victim was prone, not hindered. We should have clarified. The victim certainly can choose to attack or take some other action rather than escaping.

Grimmshade wrote:

Are things like drawing a weapon considered an action?

​I'd say no, since "Sheathe weapon, draw other weapon" is listed as an example of a potential action. At worst, I might force a combatant who needs to draw his weapon before attacking to strike in phase two.

Grimmshade wrote:

If an enemy runs past an adjacent squarer on the way to attack someone else, etc., can you take a free attack?

Not a free attack, but I'd certainly allow a combatant who'd declared his intent to swing at one target to change that target if a new one moves into striking range. For example, a thief with 40 MV wants to run past an enemy fighter to reach some other target. Because he's running, his movement is doubled; he'll cover 40 feet in phase one and 40 feet in phase two. If the fighter's side has initiative, and if the first half of the thief's movement puts him in striking range, then the fighter can attack the thief in phase two before the thief completes his movement.

9/29/2017 10:56 pm  #3

Thanks for the answers! I think I misinterpreted the "even if the opponent has already attacked" part of the withdraw rules as meaning they got a free action to follow. Reading it again, it seems they would use any unused Movement to follow.

One more question!
Do Attribute tests and d6 Task Resolution replace rolling 3d6 (or 4d6,etc.) and attempting to roll under an Attribute? Or would this resolution method also still have a place in AS&SH?

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

9/30/2017 4:21 am  #4

I think the roll under mechanic is only used in the optional rule for concentration (try rolling under Intelligence with 3d6 + damage taken to successfully cast the spell).

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.