!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2017 10:27 am  #1

AS&SH Conan Challenge

AS&SH 2e ranked very high in the Conan RPG Challenge I've been running on my blog. It's got a very good chance to be my go-to Conan RPG. Great stuff!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103023393131901177911/posts/AuPnUUZQSJ9

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

9/29/2017 7:01 pm  #2

Re: AS&SH Conan Challenge

I've been following your Conan blog for a while on Google+. Before I found Hyperborea, REH's Hyborian Age was my favorite setting. My Hyperborean campaign is heavily influenced by Howard's pulp fantasy and has strong connections to his world.

9/29/2017 9:35 pm  #3

Hey Brock - How long have you been running AH&SH? What are your thoughts on it simulating a Howard-esque experience? (I'm personally really happy with it, but then my first experiences with Conan and RPG's were in AD&D back in '82.)

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

10/01/2017 8:28 am  #4

Followed!
Your assessment is very accurate in my humble opinion.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/01/2017 9:01 am  #5

Thanks Mabon!

Rambling Conan Blog

10/01/2017 10:02 am  #6

Grimmshade wrote:

Hey Brock - How long have you been running AH&SH

Hi Grimmshade. I'm a heretic who uses a tweaked and reskinned version of 5e for AS&SH so I'm the wrong person to ask. That said, in my opinion AS&SH is the best OSR system out there for weird fiction and sword & sorcery. I especially like the xp system.

10/01/2017 10:12 am  #7

Hey Brock, I almost used D&D5e for my Conan Challenge until discovering AS&SH.
I forgot to mention the XP system in my review, but I think it fits S&S really well. A lot of people complain about XP from treasure, but for Sword & Sorcery it works fantastically. S&S heroes are always motivated by treasure.

Rambling Conan Blog

10/01/2017 12:22 pm  #8

I agree that granting XP for treasure and story goals plus reduced xp for combat drives home the sword and sorcery feel. Conan didn't treat monsters like xp and coin vending machines but that seems to be the D&D paradigm since 2nd edition.

12/21/2017 5:02 pm  #9

I'm thinking that the players can trade gold for XP, and flavoring the exchange by saying its money spent on debauchery and training.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.