!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2017 7:26 pm  #21

Re: Second Edition AS&SH PDFs Released!

stahlnee1 wrote:

Question on the pages where the background art bleeds through into the text box(es) (i.e., pages 11,14,17,20,25,29,31,34,38,42,45,48,51,54,60,64,67,70,74,78,82,86,89,93). Can the those pages be redone to prevent the background art from bleeding through?

The art bleeding through makes it difficult for me to read the text on those pages.

I appreciate that you took the time to cite all those instances, but I'm afraid it was a decision we are going to have to live with, because the book is already at the printer, and we are far removed from the layout aspect of the project. But let me assure you, the transparency effect is far less noticeable on the print version of the game. Thank you, sir!

Cheers,
Jeff T.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/27/2017 8:47 am  #22

I was also worried about the bleed through and when I printed out some pages it wasn't too bad. I'm guessing the better paper and printer that Ghul is using will further mitigate that worry.

What? Me worry?

9/27/2017 8:49 am  #23

The only thing I think I would change is to have some light grey banding on alternate rows for tables but that is a style preference more than anything. Even I don't do that to all the tables I create even though I should.

What? Me worry?

9/27/2017 9:24 am  #24

gizmomathboy wrote:

The only thing I think I would change is to have some light grey banding on alternate rows for tables but that is a style preference more than anything. Even I don't do that to all the tables I create even though I should.

Imma do my own.
https://www.jetpens.com/Zebra-Mildliner-Double-Sided-Highlighter-Fine-Bold-Mild-Gray/pd/12734

9/28/2017 6:48 pm  #25

gizmomathboy wrote:

I was also worried about the bleed through and when I printed out some pages it wasn't too bad. I'm guessing the better paper and printer that Ghul is using will further mitigate that worry.

Yep. Brighter paper with a heavier weight will help mitigate bleed when printing double-sided. Also, depending on whether it's an ink or laser printer will make a difference, laser having less of a bleed effect. For either one I would suggest at least 24lb bright white, for laser 20lb might be ok.

9/28/2017 6:51 pm  #26

A triumph, Jeff.  Congrats on a job very well done.  I look forward to playing it.

9/28/2017 8:50 pm  #27

Played for the first time today. I modified Rats in the Walls to fit into the Hyborian Age and ran it for a Huntsman, Assassin, and Legerdemainist. Everyone had a great time; loved the game and the adventure. 
Great work!

Last edited by Grimmshade (9/29/2017 9:42 am)

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

9/29/2017 9:35 am  #28

I left a review the other day on drivethrurpg. I still haven't found time to do a careful reading of Swampgate and the included adventure though.

What? Me worry?

10/04/2017 9:31 pm  #29

Ghul wrote:

stahlnee1 wrote:

Question on the pages where the background art bleeds through into the text box(es) (i.e., pages 11,14,17,20,25,29,31,34,38,42,45,48,51,54,60,64,67,70,74,78,82,86,89,93). Can the those pages be redone to prevent the background art from bleeding through?

The art bleeding through makes it difficult for me to read the text on those pages.

I appreciate that you took the time to cite all those instances, but I'm afraid it was a decision we are going to have to live with, because the book is already at the printer, and we are far removed from the layout aspect of the project. But let me assure you, the transparency effect is far less noticeable on the print version of the game. Thank you, sir!

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Ghul, I should have been more clear. Is it possible to update the pdf file to make those pages easier to read?

10/05/2017 11:58 am  #30

stahlnee1 wrote:

Ghul wrote:

stahlnee1 wrote:

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Ghul, I should have been more clear. Is it possible to update the pdf file to make those pages easier to read?

I'm sorry, but it's not going to be possible. It's not just you. I'm receiving many requests from well-meaning folks who want me to change this or that to suit their own personal tastes. I simply don't have the time to do this sort of thing, but I do appreciate your passion for the game!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/06/2017 5:39 pm  #31

I guess this is in questionable taste, since I'm a contributor, but I've read through the pdf twice now and I think it is, without question, the finest product yet released for the OSR crowd.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/06/2017 9:26 pm  #32

I agree Blackadder! It's going to be one of the best RPG books I own.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

12/24/2017 11:49 pm  #33

I haven't purchased a physical RPG book since 2011, and I'm happy to say this broke my long streak. I've devoured it over the past several days. It updates and incorporates the original rules nicely, and I'm happy to see that I can run many of my old Dungeon Guild, Mayfair, TSR and Judge's Guild adventures "out of the box" with little to no adjustment. Now, hopefully, to get my players on board with switching from Dungeon World.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.