!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2014 9:50 am  #1

Jeff VanderMeer

Has anyone read Annihilation? It's very good. The author, Jeff VanderMeer, was the editor of The Weird, a pretty amazing 1,100-page anthology of weird short fiction of the past 100 years [edit: not 200; nothing weird happened in the 1800s!]. Here's the anthology:

http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2011/08/30/table-of-contents-the-weird-edited-by-ann-and-jeff-vandermeer/

Annihilation is the first book of a trilogy, but he's been very clear that this isn't a trilogy in the lame current fantasy sense. It's three different approaches to a setting. I'm pretty sure movie rights are already sold and progressing seriously. I saw him read and talk at my local bookstore.

Anyway, the book's definitely worth reading:

Link to a Guardian review.

And the book on Better World Books (I work in publishing; leaves me with a real problem linking to or buying from Amazon).

Last edited by Handy Haversack (4/03/2014 10:24 am)

4/03/2014 10:20 am  #2

Re: Jeff VanderMeer

A friend of mine on Goodreads recommended this book just the other day.  It certainly had an interesting premise and I've considered picking it up.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.