!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2014 6:48 pm  #101

Re: The Black Monolith - Verctissa

Handy Haversack wrote:

Can I use the herbs to brew my soporific potion? I could repay Hrodney with one.

"I am afraid not. My talents lie in other directions. But I am to meet with the Council soon, and I will ask them to extend aid to your companions for your service to their tribe.

"And I will repay you, though I also accept friend to friend. Perhaps we shall find our strand leading the same way in the weave of days."

"It is as the Weavers weave. It is said that the Raven King can change the weave at a cost but the end of a strand comes when it comes and I hope that means a sword in my hand and dead enemies around me. I thank you for what you will ask at the council. If you find yourself in need you will find more than one sword beside you if we live to draw blade."

4/02/2014 7:10 pm  #102

"May your wish be woven into the great web.

"I thank you again. I am at the inn yonder should you need me. I am exploring now, and I thought I would take to the docks and see what manner of man braves these waters. On my way here I caught sight of a beast in the shallows that would cause many a sailor to pause. If you wish to accompany me, you are welcome."

And I'll head for the docks with or without, depending on her answer.

4/02/2014 7:16 pm  #103

Handy Haversack wrote:

"May your wish be woven into the great web.

"I thank you again. I am at the inn yonder should you need me. I am exploring now, and I thought I would take to the docks and see what manner of man braves these waters. On my way here I caught sight of a beast in the shallows that would cause many a sailor to pause. If you wish to accompany me, you are welcome."

And I'll head for the docks with or without, depending on her answer.

"Wait a moment, or come inside. I will tell my companions I am off," she laughs, "We too are at the Inn, our injured have a room to themselves but we sleep in the common room." she turns to the door of the trading post.

4/02/2014 7:53 pm  #104

I'll follow her in and see what the others are like.

4/02/2014 8:31 pm  #105

Handy Haversack wrote:

I'll follow her in and see what the others are like.

This is going to be a big reply. I had about one third of it done and I hit some button and it disappeared so I need to rewrite everything. It may take a little while because I have some work I need to do first.

4/02/2014 8:48 pm  #106

No worries, Jason. Tomorrow is fine, too!

4/02/2014 9:10 pm  #107

So how are you enjoying the game so far? I've tried running these with multiple players and unless everyone can be online at the same time they immediately bog down and crash. sometimes guest players work out okay.

4/02/2014 9:24 pm  #108

I'm totally enjoying it, though I'm still getting used to the medium. I'm not sure if I ought to be opening every door and talking to every townsperson or setting off into the wilderness to find somethign and kill it! I figure I'm following your lead still to an extent--and besides, there's a town meeting tonight!

Since so far everyone she's talked to has been friendly (as far as she can tell!), Verctissa hasn't seen a reason to fire the other barrel and cast charm person. There's still this meeting tonight, and you never know when it might be useful. I'm also not totally clear on whether I should be recruiting a "party" or planning on soloing it. Verctissa is obviously not made to beard monsters in their lair on her own!

She doesn't have enough money to spend the 100 GP for potion ingredients, and it didn't seem like there was enough flora she recognized to be able to gather them on her own, though part of her reason for asking for some bud from Hrodney was to start the ingredient gathering.

But basically my take is this: Every time you post somethign, I'm interested and enjoying the continued development, so I'm having a great time.

Please let me know, though, if I should be adjusting my play style toward moving things along ("I sit in my room until summoned to the meeting") or keep if just following my nose is fine. I've had her moving toward the docks basically to see if anyone wants to talk about the giant crabs in the lake! Since it was the first thing she saw. But I'm easily distracted by talking to adventurers.

So, yes: I'm having a good time!

4/02/2014 10:25 pm  #109

Handy Haversack wrote:

I'm totally enjoying it, though I'm still getting used to the medium. I'm not sure if I ought to be opening every door and talking to every townsperson or setting off into the wilderness to find somethign and kill it! I figure I'm following your lead still to an extent--and besides, there's a town meeting tonight!

Since so far everyone she's talked to has been friendly (as far as she can tell!), Verctissa hasn't seen a reason to fire the other barrel and cast charm person. There's still this meeting tonight, and you never know when it might be useful. I'm also not totally clear on whether I should be recruiting a "party" or planning on soloing it. Verctissa is obviously not made to beard monsters in their lair on her own!

She doesn't have enough money to spend the 100 GP for potion ingredients, and it didn't seem like there was enough flora she recognized to be able to gather them on her own, though part of her reason for asking for some bud from Hrodney was to start the ingredient gathering.

But basically my take is this: Every time you post somethign, I'm interested and enjoying the continued development, so I'm having a great time.

Please let me know, though, if I should be adjusting my play style toward moving things along ("I sit in my room until summoned to the meeting") or keep if just following my nose is fine. I've had her moving toward the docks basically to see if anyone wants to talk about the giant crabs in the lake! Since it was the first thing she saw. But I'm easily distracted by talking to adventurers.

So, yes: I'm having a good time!

This is Verctissa's world. While time is passing the game continues while she is conscious. At some point you may come up against periods of time where she is just doing something that doesn't need to be gone over in detail such as eating, travel, brewing potions, reading etc... and time will move forward in a literary way, for example she sits down to a meal, it was wonderful, bang, half an hour gone. It takes her 12 hours to works on her potions, a little explanation of what she is doing, I check to see if something pops up while she is working, bang 12 hours gone. I'm not tracking every second of her day but trying to hit the high points and push through any maintainance like brewing pushings, etc with sentence or two. When she sleeps a great deal of time zips by.

As I said this is Verctissa's world but she controls only her actions and I'm pleased to see your instincts for her actions have been incredibly appropriate. She can do anything she wants but the world is outside of her control and can be a dangerous place. Her actions can have consequences, good and bad, saving Andra's son seems like an incredibly good move. If the people aren't scared then friendly is a believable reaction, but they can be unfriendly to people who are unfriendly to them or give them reason to be scared. 

Do whatever you want with any of your characters and I will try to run as believable a weird tales style fantasy game as I can imagine.

4/02/2014 10:27 pm  #110

Sounds like a plan to me!

4/03/2014 1:53 am  #111

Inside the trading post the floor is one wide space but filled with trade goods. To the right are piles of skins; sheep, various leathers, wolf and small animal pelts. Several exotic types are spread against the far wall or hang from the ceiling in the isles between the goods. To the left there is a large wooden case with tall and wide shelves behind it. The nearest are filled with common herbs and plants while the ones against the wall seem to hold rarer and more exotic types. In the back half of the large room a man stands behind the bench and holds a sword in his palms while three men stand on the otherside,. Hrodney gives them a shout and one of the two not haggling waves a greeting to her.

4/03/2014 7:32 am  #112

While Hrodney speaks to her party, I'll look at the herbs and see if any are useful in potion brewing.

4/03/2014 8:34 am  #113

Handy Haversack wrote:

While Hrodney speaks to her party, I'll look at the herbs and see if any are useful in potion brewing.

Verctissa steps into a wonderland. As Hrodney walks toward her friends at the back of the store Verctissa's eyes wander from what is considered 'common' to the Rus and over to the labeled containers against the back wall. There are hundreds of herbs. Most of the names are meaningless to her but from what she can see through glass jars of varying size and opaqueness they contain scores of rare and powerful plants and herbs.

(The possible ingredients for any low level potion might be contained within though experimentation will certainly be required as well as cost of materials). 

4/03/2014 9:39 am  #114

Sounds like a problem for another day. I'll hang on to my 38 GP for now. Verctissa will move over toward Hrodney's party and see if she is ready.

4/04/2014 12:36 pm  #115

I have a few things coming up and I won't be able to do updates till this coming Tuesday at the earliest.

4/04/2014 12:37 pm  #116

JasonZavoda wrote:

I have a few things coming up and I won't be able to do updates till this coming Tuesday at the earliest.

No problem, Jason. Understood.

4/06/2014 11:05 pm  #117

Handy Haversack wrote:

JasonZavoda wrote:

No problem, Jason. Understood.

Up late but can't sleep anyway. My doctors took off the left leg (below the knee) in Nov and I may be breaking bones in the right foot so it is doctor time tomorrow. I just want the damn thing to last long enough to get used to the terminator steel leg on the left. If they take both I will go for the bouncy legs the idiot olympic guy used. Maybe I can get his.

4/07/2014 8:43 am  #118

Hi, Jason,

Man. I am so sorry! I hope it goes well at the doctor today. If you want me and my gang of degenerates to head to S. Africa and steal that guy's legs for you, you just say the word.

Look, all kidding aside, I'm hoping for the best for you. Verctissa and I will be around whenever you have the time and peace of mind. There's no hurry at all.

Be well, Jason.

All best,

Michael

4/08/2014 4:14 pm  #119

Handy Haversack wrote:

Hi, Jason,

Man. I am so sorry! I hope it goes well at the doctor today. If you want me and my gang of degenerates to head to S. Africa and steal that guy's legs for you, you just say the word.

Look, all kidding aside, I'm hoping for the best for you. Verctissa and I will be around whenever you have the time and peace of mind. There's no hurry at all.

Be well, Jason.

All best,

Michael

Thanks Michael,

Right leg turned out okay but with some light arthritis damage (I can't feel it so the arthritis isn't painful). My temp leg is finished and I go for the fitting on monday. First time I will be able to stand on two legs since March 2010.  

4/08/2014 4:21 pm  #120

Handy Haversack wrote:

Sounds like a problem for another day. I'll hang on to my 38 GP for now. Verctissa will move over toward Hrodney's party and see if she is ready.

The back of the store on the left seems to be dedicated to weapons and armor. Most of it seems to be hides and leather with some bronze plate pieces and steel chainmail. Hrodney is at the back of the store talking with two of her companions while the third is haggling with the trader over a half-dozen swords, bows and score of dagger and throwing axes. 

The one man is very tall with very short cut blond hair and a red-blond beard. He wears a fine looking chain shirt. The second man is over average height with dull red hair and sharply pointed red beard. He wears a leather vest with various bits of metal plate sewn in at key points. The third man is a bit shorter than the others and has a dark cloak over his shoulders with his arms free. He is dark haired man with a short dark beard. He gestures often with his arms and shows the series of daggers on his belt and one even on his leather vest. The trader is a middle-aged man, tall but a bit round about the middle with brown grey hair and beard.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.