!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/29/2017 2:28 pm  #1

"...the old uns, as want to come back."

I'm referring of course to Apollo and Artemis, the divine patrons of Hyperborea before it fell to Chaos.  I just wonder, what would an ancient conspiracy cult of Law look like?  I'm thinking there would be masked vigilantes righting wrongs and aiding the helpless, with Paladins being more El Zorro than Sir Galahad.

6/29/2017 3:12 pm  #2

Re: "...the old uns, as want to come back."

jcstephens wrote:

I'm referring of course to Apollo and Artemis, the divine patrons of Hyperborea before it fell to Chaos.  I just wonder, what would an ancient conspiracy cult of Law look like?  I'm thinking there would be masked vigilantes righting wrongs and aiding the helpless, with Paladins being more El Zorro than Sir Galahad.

Sounds reasonable to me. 

In my games, I kind of view them as Jedi in the time of Episodes IV-V-VI. Most regular people consider them relics/frauds of a bygone era, whereas more powerful, knowledgeable priests of other divinities would realize their potential and want to snuff them out. So, they need to keep their profile low.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/30/2017 10:22 am  #3

Great idea Chainsaw, I love the idea of a few "old relic" priests that people think are bat s*** crazy, but are really onto something in terms of veritable non-apocryphal gods!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

7/01/2017 12:42 pm  #4

chainsaw wrote:

jcstephens wrote:

Sounds reasonable to me.

In my games, I kind of view them as Jedi in the time of Episodes IV-V-VI. Most regular people consider them relics/frauds of a bygone era, whereas more powerful, knowledgeable priests of other divinities would realize their potential and want to snuff them out. So, they need to keep their profile low.

In my campaign Artemis is relegated to a copper tower on Phobos where she is attended by a group of holy amazons...Its about time some of those Jed..er..holy warriors returned to Hyperborea to plant the seeds of defiance against Xathoqqua.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/01/2017 5:01 pm  #5

mabon5127 wrote:

chainsaw wrote:

jcstephens wrote:

Sounds reasonable to me.

In my campaign Artemis is relegated to a copper tower on Phobos where she is attended by a group of holy amazons...Its about time some of those Jed..er..holy warriors returned to Hyperborea to plant the seeds of defiance against Xathoqqua.

So instead of R'lyeh our cultists are waiting for the stars to come right for the return of the Copper Tower!  And in the meantime they can be doing the usual cult stuff: recruiting new members, infiltrating other groups, plotting against their enemies, and summoning otherworldly beasties to assist with all the previous.  And of course, there plenty of battling against wickedness and helping the downtrodden:  

"Who was that masked man?"
"I don't know, I've heard him called the Lone Paladin."

7/01/2017 6:21 pm  #6

jcstephens wrote:

It's funny that you mention it, because in my campaign, in the City-State of Khromarium, I have a ropewalk that has a secret sub-basement. There a clandestine cult of Law gathers, paladins of Apollo. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/01/2017 8:07 pm  #7

I like this whole line of campaign sharing...lots of good ideas.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.