!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2017 10:08 am  #81

Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables!

What time is it? Daily encounter time! In this installment, your players are visiting the forested shores of the Kitasion Archipelago which, like the Aeries, are swarming with mythical beasts. Unlike the Aeries, some people are actually foolish enough to live here.

Insect swarm
3 wyverns
Lost
2 harpies
1 night-gaunt
100 bats (night only)
1 cyclops!
5 wild dogs
Lost
Trin, hermit (neither a classed NPC nor insane)
Rockslide
Hunting party of 14 bowmen and 12 dogs, led by Raidalla. They haven’t bagged any game yet.
1000 bats! (night only)

Not too bad for mythical beasts this time (well, except for the cyclops), but those bats are going to leave a mark if it's nighttime...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/30/2017 8:51 am  #82

It's that time again: daily encounter! Today your players have sneaked into Kor, City of the Ape-Men! They should have sneaked into Candy Apple City (they have apes too, but they're not so big).

3 ape-men
6 ape-men
90 human slaves guarded by 10 ape-men armed as light infantry and led by Tinuscra (7th level ape-man fighter).
29 rats
4 ape-men
5 ape-men
5 ape-men
Fever
Plague! (ebola?)
4 ape-men
25 ape-men
4 ape-men
1 riding horse (Planet of the Apes style!)

I guess flinging your own waste around is really not healthy...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/31/2017 8:21 am  #83

Welcome back to daily encounters! This time your players are visiting yet another unfriendly city: the subterranean metropolis of Krimmea. The good news is: there won't be any celestial phenomena...

Vermin (PC lost water!)
Patrol of 16 light infantry led by Herodotos (11th level fighter!) Looking for anybody with a suntan.
6 giant pink centipedes
Ptolemais (Neutral 10th level thief!) She’s always wanted to see the surface world…
Patrol of 13 light infantry led by Drakon. Still looking for heretical outsiders (what are they hiding down here?)
6 drunks (mushroom-wine hangovers are the worst)
Lysandra (4th level fighter) accompanied by 10 light infantry henchpersons
Plague! (Hyperborean cities are just not healthy)
Patrol of 8 light infantry led by Korinna (3rd level fighter). Still searching for intruders (and now plague victims)
1 ghul! (desert only, so thankfully no encounter)
1 domesticated aurochs
1 riding horse
Patrol of 12 light infantry led by Theron (9th level fighter). Still looking for outsiders and/or plague carriers.

Probably a good place to stay away from.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (5/31/2017 8:22 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/01/2017 8:28 am  #84

Time for your daily encounter! Today your players have traveled to the shores of Lake Nova, where three mutually hostile groups send hunting parties. There's no way this ends well...

2 wolverines
22 reindeer
Lost
1 aqua-hydra!
Hunting party of 10 bowmen and 10 dogs from Brigand’s Bay, led by Rellrennia. They haven’t taken any game.
16 aurochs
18 aurochs
3 giant skeletons!
2 polar bears
80 musk oxen
5 wolves
Lost
4 giant white toads!

Well, the hunters weren't much of a problem, but some of those monsters might be. Ouch!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/02/2017 1:19 pm  #85

Daily encounter time! In this installment, your players have traveled to Larchmere Yys - last stronghold of Apollo-worshipers in Hyperborea. Sounds like a pretty safe place, right?

1 viper
Rhulrhana (2nd level Chaotic Evil barbarian)
Falling star
9 drunks
Sandstorm – not in a desert, so no encounter!
Fever
11 giant rats
1 domesticated aurochs
1 draught horse
1 riding horse
Fever
1 draught horse
12 giant rats

An appropriately dull place. And no patrols encountered!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/03/2017 9:34 am  #86

It's time once again for daily encounters! This time your players have journeyed to the Leng Plateau - a site almost as dire as the dreaded Plain of Leng itself. I feel these PCs are not making good life choices...

8 wild dogs
20 leaper camels
9 dire wolves
8 woolly rhinoceroses
4 ape-men
20 leaper camels
Esquimaux hunting party of 10 bowmen and 15 dogs, led by Suka. They have bagged 5 wild boars!
7 woolly rhinoceroses
8 dire wolves
50 musk oxen
9 woolly rhinoceroses
17 aurochs
1 polar bear

The PCs didn’t meet any of the men from Leng (at least, not on this trip) but the woolly rhinos are certainly thick on the ground.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/04/2017 2:11 pm  #87

Welcome back once more to daily encounters! In this episode, your players have traveled to the swamps of the aptly-named Lizard Coast. What will they encounter there?

Thunderstorm
3 giant draco lizards!
5 lizard-men
4 lizard-men
1 giant python!
2 lizard-men
5 giant draco lizards!
1 water snake!
Insect swarm!
1 giant python!
3 giant draco lizards!
Smoky lotus!
2 giant elk

Giant reptiles ahoy! Those elk won’t last a day.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/04/2017 7:50 pm  #88

"Papa needs a new pair of snakeskin boots!"
    - famous last words of Marco Solo, explorer of the Lizard Coast.

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

6/05/2017 6:25 am  #89

Blackadder23 wrote:

Welcome back once more to daily encounters! In this episode, your players have traveled to the swamps of the aptly-named Lizard Coast. What will they encounter there?

Thunderstorm
3 giant draco lizards!
5 lizard-men
4 lizard-men
1 giant python!
2 lizard-men
5 giant draco lizards!
1 water snake!
Insect swarm!
1 giant python!
3 giant draco lizards!
Smoky lotus!
2 giant elk

Giant reptiles ahoy! Those elk won’t last a day.

A lizard bit of this....a lizard bit of that...Most of these would not necessarily challenge a stalwart party of adventurers but does show that travelling unprepared in Hyperborea is dangerous beyond belief.  Several of the smaller lizard man parties could be scouting the party for a larger marauding group or combined with the Draco Lizards to be a greater challenge.  This is why this is such a valuable tool as you can (particularly if automated) tweak the entire day by omitting, combining, and personalizing the results.  As a GM I'm pretty dang excited about this, but as a lazy GM I'm even more excited about the automation part.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/05/2017 8:41 am  #90

Daily encounter time! Today your players have ventured into the Lug Wasteland, which surrounds the city of Khromarium. Perhaps this will answer at least one burning question: is it safer inside or outside of Khromarium?

4 falcons
Onchu (1st level Chaotic Evil barbarian)
Fog bank
6 wyverns!
10 giant fire beetles (night only)
21 red deer
Hunting party of 10 tenderfoot city-folk bowmen and 10 dogs, led by Zennquann. They haven’t bagged any game yet.
23 vipers!
Hunting party of 13 tenderfoot city-folk bowmen and 12 dogs, led by Xillquillia and accompanied by Garr (7th level cleric). The power of prayer is again proven, as they have bagged 37 swamp rats for dinner!
5 giant fire beetles (night only)
9 giant frogs!
9 giant fire beetles (night only)
7 giant fire beetles (night only)

I think it was safer inside; 23 vipers will probably leave a mark. Also, it must be mating season for the giant fire beetles…

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/05/2017 8:46 pm  #91

Blackadder23 wrote:

...it must be mating season for the giant fire beetles…

Gettin' jiggy with it!

You know, I was thinking of running B1 in the Lug Wastelands, just north of the city. It's a perfect fit (edge of "civilization", barbarians to the north, etc.). But after seeing the encounter results, I'm not sure a beginning party would ever make it to Quasqueton...

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

6/06/2017 7:28 am  #92

foxroe wrote:

You know, I was thinking of running B1 in the Lug Wastelands, just north of the city. It's a perfect fit (edge of "civilization", barbarians to the north, etc.). But after seeing the encounter results, I'm not sure a beginning party would ever make it to Quasqueton...

I good reason for adventurers to hired a competent guide/tracker who knows Lug well; to lead them to and fro from the caverns.

Love B1, got a lot of fond memories of that adventure...

6/06/2017 8:45 am  #93

Running B1 in the Lug Wasteland sounds cool!
It's worth remembering that the chance of an encounter is 1-in-6, rolled 12 times a day (unless you want to be mean and roll more often). So in reality a party is likely to average two encounters a day, and most of these tables are weighted toward animals, men, and mildly bad weather. Of course, some areas (e.g., the Aeries, IX, Sharath) are weighted toward encounters with especially horrible things, but the PCs only have themselves to blame if they travel to any of those places.
A guide is also a good thought. Maybe that Chaotic Evil barbarian is looking for work...
As the Man from Another Place would put it: thet gum yooo lak iz goyng tooo kum bak instal. All so, welkum bak tooo daylee enncannters. In this episode, your players have made landfall on the island of Minotaurios and climbed a volcano, two decisions which I really hope will lead to them reexamining their lives (if they still have them). Come on dice, Daddy needs a lava eruption!

8 wolves
1 minotaur
Geyser!
1 giant weasel – only at night
1 giant weasel (night only)
1 minotaur
1 giant weasel again – but only at night
3 falcons
2 giant bees
1 giant chameleon
Avalanche!
1 minotaur
Lost

So it seems “Giantweaselos” would be an equally fitting name – at least on this visit. Oh well. Ahl see yooo agin inn twenny-fi yeers. Well, more likely tomorrow.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/06/2017 8:46 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/07/2017 6:18 am  #94

Blackadder23 wrote:

It's worth remembering that the chance of an encounter is 1-in-6, rolled 12 times a day (unless you want to be mean and roll more often). So in reality a party is likely to average two encounters a day, and most of these tables are weighted toward animals, men, and mildly bad weather. Of course, some areas (e.g., the Aeries, IX, Sharath) are weighted toward encounters with especially horrible things, but the PCs only have themselves to blame if they travel to any of those places.

Ah right, not know that, was thinking creatures were there, and you would just have to move through them or around them.
Eh, is it mentioned in your "Hyperborean Encounter Chart," or is this 1-in-6 roll 12 times a day mentioned in another source? Just in case I missed it, it might be good to add it to your directions at front of PDF as it a good ratio for encounters/day, averaging about a 17% every 2 hours for an encounter.

Blackadder23 wrote:

A guide is also a good thought. Maybe that Chaotic Evil barbarian is looking for work...

lol

6/07/2017 8:29 am  #95

Caveman wrote:

Eh, is it mentioned in your "Hyperborean Encounter Chart," or is this 1-in-6 roll 12 times a day mentioned in another source? Just in case I missed it, it might be good to add it to your directions at front of PDF as it a good ratio for encounters/day, averaging about a 17% every 2 hours for an encounter.

The 1-in-6 chance every two hours is from the AS&SH rules. Jeff actually says you can roll every ninety minutes or even every hour instead, depending on the area. Personally I think that's overkill in most places, but don't let that stop you!
It's daily encounter time! Today your players have journeyed to grim Mount Forptycle, where the Kimmerians first arrived in Hyperborea. What will they meet on this haunted peak?

Box canyon
Shining mist – next (let’s say) three encounters will be with aliens!
16 abominable snow-men!
8 vhuurmis
1 albino ape superior! – night only (normal encounters now resume)
Shining mist! – ouch, three more “alien encounters”!
2 spore-men!
2 spore-men!
8 vhuurmis (normal encounters now resume)
Lost
40 giant bats – nasty! But only at night.
1 brown bear
Frostbite!

Man, shining mist is a killer.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/07/2017 8:29 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/07/2017 9:27 am  #96

Blackadder23 wrote:

The 1-in-6 chance every two hours is from the AS&SH rules. Jeff actually says you can roll every ninety minutes or even every hour instead, depending on the area. Personally I think that's overkill in most places, but don't let that stop you!

Ah, did a quick look in AS&SH rules, but could not find it, so, good to know. I think /2hours is reasonable, Hyperborea is dangerous enough as is!

Enjoying the daily encounter charts.

6/08/2017 8:32 am  #97

Caveman wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Ah, did a quick look in AS&SH rules, but could not find it, so, good to know. I think /2hours is reasonable, Hyperborea is dangerous enough as is!

Enjoying the daily encounter charts.

It's on page 203 of the Players' Manual. And rereading it, I see that Jeff actually said you could roll as often as every three turns (half hour) if you want. Jeez, Jeff!
Time for your daily encounter! This is another special one, as your players have made a pilgrimage to Mount Vhuurmithadon, legendary home of Xathoqqua himself! And also home to a whole bunch of vhuurmis. What will the PCs encounter here?

2 mountain apes (plus-sized vhuurmis?)
9 vhuurmis
10 vhuurmis
11 vhuurmis (well, what did you really expect?)
Thin ice (over 30’ hole)
2 giant fire beetles
1 albino ape superior (luckily only at night)
20 vhuurmis (who are prone to hurl “an inexhaustible supply of garbage” according to CAS)
Blizzard!
6 vhuurmis
6 ape-men (for “variety”)
3 vhuurmis
29 cave-men (for more “variety”)

That was definitely a sufficient number of vhuurmis and allied species. Holy cow - or should I say, "holy toad"?

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/08/2017 8:34 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/08/2017 8:49 am  #98

Hahahaha! Awesome.  Just finished reading the "Seven Geases"last night.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/08/2017 11:34 am  #99

Blackadder23 wrote:

It's on page 203 of the Players' Manual. And rereading it, I see that Jeff actually said you could roll as often as every three turns (half hour) if you want. Jeez, Jeff!

Cheers. lol.

Blackadder23 wrote:

29 cave-men (for more “variety”)

Warning, here I come!

6/08/2017 5:06 pm  #100

A JOURNEY AROUND ABBICCA’S MERE (CASE STUDY)
This journey takes place in the Year of the Wolf (spring) around the time of the Vernal Equinox (so there are 12 hours each of daylight and dark). The party is 2nd-4th level and includes a ranger, although they won’t normally become lost anyway since they’re following a lake shore. The party has just crossed the small river to the northwest of Abbicca’s Mere, and intends to make for the Esquimaux village to the southeast, hugging the lake as they go. Because some of the party members are wearing medium armor, they have a movement rate of 18 miles a day. Encounters will be checked every 2 hours, day or night, with a 1-in-6 chance of an encounter. The party has enough food for two weeks.

DAY 1

6 AM, SUNRISE: No encounter. Party sets out.
8 AM: No encounter.
10 AM: No encounter.
NOON: Encounter. One PC has stumbled into quicksand! But it shouldn’t be too difficult for his companions to rescue him.
2 PM:  No encounter.
4 PM: No encounter. Party makes camp.
6 PM, SUNSET: No encounter.
8 PM: No encounter. Party sets watches and sleeps.
10 PM: No encounter.
MIDNIGHT: No encounter.
2 AM: No encounter.
4 AM: No encounter.

DAY 2

10 AM: No encounter. Party crosses into new hex (forest).
NOON: No encounter.
2 PM:  No encounter.

DAY 3

2 PM:  No encounter. Party crosses into new hex (swamp).
4 PM: Encounter. 15 rats are lurking under the water! The party is not surprised, and the rats should present little problem. Party makes camp.

DAY 4

2 PM:  No encounter.
4 PM: No encounter. Party crosses into new hex (swamp). Party makes camp.
2 AM: Encounter. 21 rats invade the camp, looking for food (fresh or otherwise). The party is not surprised, and should have no trouble repelling the rats.

DAY 5

2 PM: No encounter.
2 AM: Encounter. Fog bank forms on the lakeshore, 1 mile in diameter and lasting 10 hours!
4 AM: Encounter. Lost! Normally this wouldn’t be possible, since the party is following a lakeshore, but I think the witch Abbicca may enhance the existing fog with some illusions.

DAY 6

6 AM, SUNRISE: No encounter. Party sets out, following an illusory lakeshore back the way they came.
8 AM: No encounter. Party moves out of the fog, but still following an illusory lakeshore back the way they came.
2 PM: No encounter.
4 PM: No encounter. Party makes camp, having completely erased all progress they made the previous day.
6 PM, SUNSET: No encounter. Just at sunset, the illusion shatters and a distant cackling is heard. The party sees the true lakeshore and realizes they’ve been tricked.

Continued...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.