!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2017 2:36 pm  #1

Valhalla Rising

'Tis playing atm on IFC.

One of my favorite movies, even!
Also, might be one of the best films for an analogue to Hyperborea's bleak atmosphere.

...before fatidic silver pools on a auspicious night stood a Hyperborean Xathoqquan priestess; stripping naked like a beast crawling in on all fours in supplication...

4/21/2017 4:56 pm  #2

Re: Valhalla Rising

I'm a big fan too!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/21/2017 5:18 pm  #3

I've never seen it. I'll see if it's on Netflix...

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/22/2017 7:45 am  #4

To be fair, Valhalla Rising has its detractors, but I thought that it was great. I thought the director Nicolas Winding Refn did a fantastic job making the past feel truly alien and scary (opposite of a Ren Faire, heh!). I like Drive too, though some of his newer stuff like Only God Forgives and Neon Demon left me bored and underwhelmed. May be my problem though!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/22/2017 9:50 am  #5

I'm not familiar with his other works but I do see how some might get bored with Valhalla Rising...
My only real criticism is that too bad it wasn't done in a Scandinavian tongue w/o subtitles, for the most part, the few words spoken are easily understood in any language.

...before fatidic silver pools on a auspicious night stood a Hyperborean Xathoqquan priestess; stripping naked like a beast crawling in on all fours in supplication...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.