!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2017 11:19 am  #1

Snake-man on parade

Here is a 'typical' or bare minimum group of Snake-man sent on a Yig, or full-wherewithal of a 'Snakedom', sponsored surface mission (generally 2 groups of 12 Snake-mans working separately yet in tandem toward the same goal). Groups will be altered to look as the strongest biped of the region, in this case owlbears, w/ 2 actual owlbears under their control**.

Again, this is more of a base to build upon, thus if the mission was deemed of great importance then the teams would carry a more powerful array of magic with perceived required corresponding levels to achieve success.

Snake-man as Owlbears (possibly):
Size:L, Move:20, Dex:10
AC:5(4w/Sorcerous Armor), HP&saves&FA:same
CA&TA:n/a
Attacks:1d6 claw or beak
8-9' tall looking 500-1500 pounds...ya know, a family group grubbing for magic...

Priest 4th lvl w/ Whip +2 of Shocking Party Leader
S:8, D:11, C:14, I:12, W:17, C:16
Align:LE, Size:M, Move:40
AC:6(5w/Sorcerous Armor), HP:18
Save:15+2X&S, FA:2, CA:4, TA:4
Attacks: Whip-3d6 (obliviously, Snake-man priest of Yig have whip mastery effects just not extra attacks)
Special: 8 HD of Undead (possibly but not likely if incognito)
Known spells: pick 5 - clw, detect magic, omen, sanctuary, bless, bless oil, ceremony of consecration, command; pick 4 - cmw, serpent charm***, hold person, delay poison

Monk 4th lvl w/ Staff +2 of the Snake Priest's Enforcer
S:13, D:18, C:13, I:10, W:17, C:9
Align:LE, Size: M, Move:50
AC:4(3w/s.a.)-1 more w/Staff, HP:27
Save:15+2T&A, FA:3 (+3 ranged)
Attacks: unarmed-1d4+2 or Staff-1d6+4 or hooked knives-1d6* 30/60/90
Special:+1 hit unarmed; Speak w/animals 1/day; Asp-baskets 20/40/60 releases two asps;  Dusts in grenade form 20/40/60 effecting 2d3 5'hexs 

Magician 3rd lvl w/ Girdle of the Golden Serpent
S:8, D:10, C:14, I:16, W:14, C:13
AC:6(5w/s.a.), HP:17
Save:15+2D&S, FA:2, CA:3
Attacks: dagger-1d4* 10/20/30 or 2x dart-1d3* 15/30/45
Special: Asp-baskets 20/40/60 releases two asps
Known spells: pick 3 - spiderclimb, sorcerous armor, identify, write spell; pick 2 - knock, stinking cloud

Illusionist 3rd lvl
S:11, D:15, C:12, I:17, W:13, C:12
Align:CE, Size:M, Move:40
AC:5(4w/s.a.), HP:16
Save:15+2D&S, FA:2, CA:3
Attacks: dagger-1d4* or 2x dart-1d3* 15/30/45
Known spells: pick 3 - scare, mirror image, color spray, hypnotism; pick 2 - continual light, invisibility

Necromancer 3rd lvl
S:10, D:10, C:15, I:16, W:16, C:16
AC:6(5w/s.a.)-1 more a/qstaff; HP:26
Save:15+2X&S, FA:2, CA:3, TA:1
Attacks: qstaff-1d6 or 2x dart-1d3* 15/30/45
Special: 2 HD of Undead, 3 HD of Carrion (possibly but not likely if incognito)
Known spells: pick 3 - decipher languages, animate carrion, invisibility to undead; pick 2 - skeletal servant, infernal tongues

Assassin 3rd lvl
S:14, D:16, C:13, I:13, W:9, C:8
AC:4(3w/s.a.), DR:1(snake-scale), HP:16
Save:15+2D&A, FA:2 (+1 ranged)
Attacks: falcata-1d6*+1 or hooked knives-1d6*+1 30/60/90
Special: Asp-baskets 20/40/60 releases two asps; Dusts in grenade form 20/40/60 effecting 2d3 5'hexs 

Toxicologist
S:11, D:13, C:13, I:16, W:12, C:5
AC:6(5w/s.a.), HP:13
Save:16, FA:2 (+1 ranged)
Attacks: dagger-1d4* 10/20/30 or dart-1d3* 15/30/45

Alchemist
S:12, D:11, C:12, I:16, W:15, C:12
AC:6(5w/s.a.), HP:13
Save:16, FA:2
Attacks: tube (see special) or dagger-1d4* 10/20/30 or dart-1d3* 15/30/45
Special: traveling kit to make Ampoules of Monster Control** along with other Pills and Dusts...; Asp-baskets 20/40/60 releases two asps; Dusts from bladders thru 10' tube affects 1d4 5' hexs.

Sergeant/Red-shirt/Red-shirt/Red-shirt
S:17/15/16/14, D:10/9/10/9, C:15/14/13/14, I:11/13/12/14, W:7/12/7/7, C:12/8/13/7
AC:5, DR:1 (Snake-scale), HP:22/18/18/18
Save:16, FA:2 melee - +1/+1/+1/+0
Attacks: 2H scimitar-3d4*+2/+1/+1/+1 or hooked knives-1d6* 30/60/90

* First hit save vs (usually Snake-Man venom) poison, the next 6 successive hits of natural 19s or 20s with daggers (only) make save again; Toxicologist keeping all Snake-man weapons coated in Snake-man venom (poison save or +1d6 dmg w/paralysis in 1d4R for 2d6T) unless another poison is desired for a specific target known in advance

** Alchemist needs one specimen per 1d6 uses; each injection lasts 24 hours; only usable on same type of monster.

*** Snake-man priests of Yig have additional effects of Messenger bird (but snake instead) or up to 1d6 Asp-bolts or Viper-bolts that can be launched from bows/xbows (as snake bite).

Final Notes:
Snake-man made magic that they've brought to the surface (except Dusts, Pills and Ampoules) have/use no charges (items are 'tuned' to that Snake-man). So the negative side effects will happen if any other species touched them.

Each Snake-man would probably have one or two Pills or Ampoules. Likely Dusts for this crew: Dust of Paralysis and Dust of Sneezing and Choking.

Snake-man carry at least one mundane dagger of venom (magic version for high lvl group). Thus if dagger is already listed as a weapon then it's likely they carry several.

The Red-shirts are chosen for their size so to better appear as full grown examples of the bipeds which the group is assuming the mantle.

If Snake-mans defeat a party:
They will sedate any survivors, take samples, then tag & release...roll 1d6 for choice of sample:
1 - brain lobe (-1 int) you dumb
2 - eye (-1 to ranged mods) you seethe
3 - gland (-1 cha) you froggy
4 - kidney (make trauma survival or -1 con) you sore
5 - intestinal colony (awkward) you confused
6 - testicle/ovary (sorry?) you pissed

The Snake-man 'tag' is injected through the right armpit deep to near the aorta, doing 2d4 points of damage (injection won't cause bleeding in negatives, hopefully nothing wanders by for the free meal if it's hours of sedation...)
To remove the tag great skill (probably akin to Atlantean or Hyperborean levels of yore to achieve even odds), if not great magic, would be required, doing at least 4d4 points of damage then a trauma survival or die; a failed removal means 4d12 points of damage, -1 con then a trauma survival or die.

Last edited by Monkeydono (4/21/2017 5:07 pm)

...before fatidic silver pools on a auspicious night stood a Hyperborean Xathoqquan priestess; stripping naked like a beast crawling in on all fours in supplication...

4/11/2017 4:01 pm  #2

Re: Snake-man on parade

Sounds pretty cool!
Anything vaguely alchemical would be a good choice for magic items IMO: potions, poisons, the various "dusts", braziers of sleep smoke, eversmoking bottles.  You could even break out the 1e books and add some extra items like sovereign glue and universal solvent, or maybe create some new ones like web grenades and rust bombs.

And I think daggers of venom go without saying!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/11/2017 4:53 pm  #3

Blackadder23 wrote:

...And I think daggers of venom go without saying!

Of course! But I was thinking all of their weapons would effectively be non-magical versions of these...
Re: Snake-man magic that they've brought to the surface (except pills and ampoules) - no charges are used because there're no charges left. So the negative side effects will happen if any other species touched them.
PCs only find these items still containing charges from other creatures or deep below in snake-man lairs.

i shouldn't try to post at work, I rush it into nonsense...

Last edited by Monkeydono (4/11/2017 6:27 pm)

...before fatidic silver pools on a auspicious night stood a Hyperborean Xathoqquan priestess; stripping naked like a beast crawling in on all fours in supplication...

4/11/2017 10:55 pm  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

...or maybe create some new ones like web grenades and rust bombs.

...rust bombs...hmm, I'm liking that idea more and more...
For grenades I was thinking hand-asp-baskets.

4/12/2017 1:24 am  #5

Blackadder23 wrote:

...the various "dusts"...

Thanks for all of the suggestions, BA23! It helped me look at it all again at different angles (I'll save the more powerful ideas for the future so there's still plenty of room to up the ante...)
Re: dusts - looks like the lotus availability in the region at this time will be violet (Dust of Paralysis) and white-speckled blue (Dust of Sneezing and Choking).

4/12/2017 2:28 am  #6

They will sedate any survivors, take samples, then tag & release...roll 1d6 for choice of sample:
2 - eye (-1 to ranged mods) you seethe

The Sanke-man 'tag' is injected through the right armpit deep to near the aorta, doing 2d4 points of damage (injection won't cause bleeding in negatives, hopefully nothing wanders by for the free meal if it's hours of sedation...)
To remove the tag great skill (probably akin to Atlantean or Hyperborean levels of yore to achieve even odds), if not great magic, would be required, doing at least 4d4 points of damage then a trauma survival or die; a failed removal means 4d12 points of damage, -1 con then a trauma survival or die.

Last edited by Monkeydono (4/12/2017 12:24 pm)

4/12/2017 10:53 am  #7

Monkeydono wrote:

2 - eye (-1 to ranged mods) you seeth

The Sanke-man 'tag' is injected through the right armpit deep to near the aorta, doing 2d4 points of damage (injection won't cause bleeding in negatives, hopefully nothing wanders by for the free meal if it's hours of sedation...)

I like this alternative.  

Regards equipment, I assumed the Snake-men had harnessed the power of the Black Gulf i.e. some twisted version of dark matter and used it for travel, weapons, and protection.  I then extrapolated that their tech was the reason Hyperborea was thrust into the new cosmos surrounded by the same stuff....

Ex. Their armor is weightless and protects at AC-(-2).  The environmental protection gives a bonus of +6 on saves against damage from heat or cold or inhaled poison.  Various ampules can be loaded in the armor to enhance the battle-worthiness of the snake-man. These include Heroic Action, Super-Speed, and Healing.

They had Black Gulf projector weapons and sabers made of the stuff as well.

I used this type of snake-man soldier for the High-level "Snakes on a Plain" adventure I ran at GC 2016 (I think Big Perm experience these first hand....)

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/12/2017 12:36 pm  #8

mabon5127 wrote:

I like this alternative.  

Regards equipment, I assumed the Snake-men had harnessed the power of the Black Gulf i.e. some twisted version of dark matter and used it for travel, weapons, and protection.  I then extrapolated that their tech was the reason Hyperborea was thrust into the new cosmos surrounded by the same stuff....

Ex. Their armor is weightless and protects at AC-(-2).  The environmental protection gives a bonus of +6 on saves against damage from heat or cold or inhaled poison.  Various ampules can be loaded in the armor to enhance the battle-worthiness of the snake-man. These include Heroic Action, Super-Speed, and Healing.

I used this type of snake-man soldier for the High-level "Snakes on a Plain" adventure I ran at GC 2016 (I think Big Perm experience these first hand....)

Morgan 

Thanks, Morgan!...and, whoa! Talk about upping the ante!!
I'll keep that idea for maybe Yig's elite shock troops but with legends from a time when Bruce Snake-steen had his chart topper 'Glory Days'...with a small yell' sun, glory days, when the earth-sphere spun, glory days...

Last edited by Monkeydono (4/12/2017 12:38 pm)

4/12/2017 12:45 pm  #9

Monkeydono wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

I like this alternative.  

Morgan 

Thanks, Morgan!...and, whoa! Talk about upping the ante!!
I'll keep that idea for maybe Yig's elite shock troops but with legends from a time when Bruce Snake-steen had his chart topper 'Glory Days'...with a small yell' sun, glory days, when the earth-sphere spun, glory days...

Yes they invaded the toughest dang snake nest on the Plain of Leng....who else but the esquimaux heroes of the Raven Clan!  The giant cyber-snakes and the WWI zombies that exuded mustard gas were far worse.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/12/2017 10:22 pm  #10

One of the items I came up with from back in snake-person days is the Orb of the Overseer, which causes un-wake-up-from-able sleep in all the humans in a given reasonable area (building, dormitory, ship, large room, whathaveyou). Basically how the snake-people could always be sure to be able to pacify a labor force: taking advantage of the thing the mammal creatures need that the snake-people don't: sleep.

4/19/2017 2:41 am  #11

Getting down to the nitty-gritty (lil' polish and kibosh) but wanted to ask for opinions the effects of Alter Self, specifically for when it's Snake-mans, here's what I have (basically half dmg & move, otherwise based on the Snake-man stat...'cept dex, but not kinda...):

Snake-man as Owlbears (possibly):
Size:L, Move:20, Dex:10
AC:5, HP&saves&FA:same
CA&TA:n/a
Attacks:1d6 claw or beak
8-9' tall looking 500-1500 pounds...ya know, a family group grubbing for magic...

Last edited by Monkeydono (4/21/2017 5:07 pm)

4/20/2017 3:27 pm  #12

I don't think of owlbears as all that bipedal I guess? Sort of semi-bipedal, if that makes sense. So I'd probably not have them able to do it in my Hyperborea. That said, I'd probably keep the snake-people attack (1 [bite or weapon]) and have them able to either bite for 1d6 or claw for 1d6 per round.

4/21/2017 12:28 am  #13

Handy Haversack wrote:

I don't think of owlbears as all that bipedal I guess? Sort of semi-bipedal, if that makes sense. So I'd probably not have them able to do it in my Hyperborea. That said, I'd probably keep the snake-people attack (1 [bite or weapon]) and have them able to either bite for 1d6 or claw for 1d6 per round.

Thanks for the damage feedback, I'll go with that (except Monk Snake-man which can deal full attacks and fully move as that biped, w/i reason since I love giving monsters special stuff I'd never give PCs).
About owlbears' posture: those lobster claws weren't made for walking and the description states them being upright, 8-10' tall instead of long/length, so I've been running them as always bipedal yet bird like at eating and swivelnecking.

4/21/2017 5:01 pm  #14

I've added this to Snake-man priests' of Yig options when casting Serpent Charm: or up to 1d6 Asp-bolts or Viper-bolts that can be launched from bows/xbows.

That should be it for this post (all pertinent info is now in the first post), so if anyone see any mistakes, doesn't  add up or is unclear, please lmk!
And, thanks for all the help y'all!! can't wait to 'sample' my crew...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.