!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2016 8:26 am  #1

TotalCon 2017 AS&SH Events?

My leading henchman has mentioned possibly attending TotalCon 2017: events aren't up yet, but just wondering if anyone local to it is planning on running any AS&SH games?

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

11/02/2016 11:39 am  #2

Re: TotalCon 2017 AS&SH Events?

As I did at Gary Con VIII, I'll be running "The Pit" from DUNGEON #17 three times in three different systems: AD&D, AS&SH, and CoC.

11/06/2016 5:27 am  #3

Thanks, that could be interesting to try a couple of those (AS&SH and CoC).

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

11/10/2016 6:53 pm  #4

I'm local. I'll be running AS&SH games on Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night.

You should run an AS&SH game, rhialto! We could use an extra Saturday afternoon game.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/10/2016 6:54 pm  #5

rhialto wrote:

Unless Dave really changes the adventure from one system to the next, I'd say you should pick one or the other. Dave?

11/11/2016 6:05 am  #6

Ghul wrote:

I'm local. I'll be running AS&SH games on Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night.

You should run an AS&SH game, rhialto! We could use an extra Saturday afternoon game.

It's at least an 8-hr. drive for me, so I'd probably have to drive up on Fri, game Sat then home Sun. That would require crack timing with my henchman, let me see what I can do. 

11/11/2016 3:53 pm  #7

rhialto wrote:

Ghul wrote:

It's at least an 8-hr. drive for me, so I'd probably have to drive up on Fri, game Sat then home Sun. That would require crack timing with my henchman, let me see what I can do. 

Sounds great! No pressure. Was just a thought.

11/11/2016 5:50 pm  #8

Ghul wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Unless Dave really changes the adventure from one system to the next, I'd say you should pick one or the other. Dave?

Agreed. One should really only play the adventure once.

11/12/2016 10:36 am  #9

DMPrata wrote:

As I did at Gary Con VIII, I'll be running "The Pit" from DUNGEON #17 three times in three different systems: AD&D, AS&SH, and CoC.

That sounds awesome, and it also gives me an idea for a Con game.  Use the same three systems, but instead of the same adventure each time, it would be a three-part adventure.  Part one would take place in pre-glacier Hyperborea and use the AD&D system (reflecting the more powerful magic known to the ancient Hyperboreans).  Part two would take place in the 1920's and use the CoC system.  Part three would take place in dying Hyperborea, and use the AS&SH system.

The characters could either actually travel from one milieu to another via gateways or (perhaps more interestingly) could be physically different reincarnations of the same souls.  So one character (or soul) might be a sorcerer in ancient Hyperborea, an antiquarian in the 1920's, and a sorcerer again in dying Hyperborea.  This would reflect a theme explored by Howard and Moorcock, among other writers of weird fantasy fiction, and would also make it irrelevant if a character had died in a previous session - they would simply reincarnate along with the others!

Anyway, just a thought inspired by your interesting experiment!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/12/2016 11:09 am  #10

Blackadder23 wrote:

The characters could either actually travel from one milieu to another via gateways or (perhaps more interestingly) could be physically different reincarnations of the same souls.  So one character (or soul) might be a sorcerer in ancient Hyperborea, an antiquarian in the 1920's, and a sorcerer again in dying Hyperborea.  This would reflect a theme explored by Howard and Moorcock, among other writers of weird fantasy fiction, and would also make it irrelevant if a character had died in a previous session - they would simply reincarnate along with the others!

My pre-gens are essentially different versions of the same character: Herakleios Stone-Wolf the Kimmerian fighter becomes Harry Stone the American private eye.

11/12/2016 11:42 am  #11

Nice!  Maybe some reincarnation going on there already.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/04/2016 9:10 pm  #12

Jeff Talanian's Events for Total Con 2017

HYPERBOREA: The Strange Tale of Crystal Point

THU  7PM

In the far reaches of Hyperborea's Crab Archipelago, lies a small, but mountainous island known as Crystal Point. Passing sailors have recently seen a crimson glow in Crystal Point's waters, beams of reddish-brown light shining up from its steep cliffs and unusually frequent lightning storms. Ariston Thalassa, an Atlantean sage in Khromarium, has heard these strange tales and approached your party with a promising explanation.

-----------------------------

HYPERBOREA: The Anthropophagi of Xamboola

FRI 7PM  

Visitors to the desert-city of Xamboola beware! Demoniacal cachinnations and dull totemic drumbeats sound nocturnal from the outskirts of the city. Vile shrieks echo the nightmarish noises, making even those of heroic aspect shudder in repulsion. Residents do not tarry at sundown, locking themselves in their homes, for something sinister lingers in the black of night.

----------------------------

HYPERBOREA: The Sea-Wolf's Daughter

SAT 7PM

The player characters dine in the hall of a petty kinglet known as Björn Blackbeard. He has abducted Gunnhildr, the daughter of Ragnarr “The Sea-Wolf” (a Viking chieftain), and he intends to marry her. The young woman is somewhere in Blackbeard’s stronghold in Brigand’s Bay. She must be rescued. Meantime, some 40 bloodthirsty Vikings -- including Ragnarr himself -- lie in wait, hidden in a nearby gulch.

12/05/2016 10:00 am  #13

Sounds great! Wish I could make it and can't wait to hear how Crystal Point goes. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/06/2016 9:47 am  #14

Chainsaw wrote:

Sounds great! Wish I could make it and can't wait to hear how Crystal Point goes.

When is this getting published?  I'll run this at something!!!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/07/2016 8:49 am  #15

TotalCon wrote:

New England's Largest Game Convention

There's a *new* England now?

I think this one might run too close to GaryCon for our attendance, but I will float the bird-man and see how many arrows hit it.

1/17/2017 12:09 pm  #16

Total Confusion 31 is going to be a great convention for AS&SH this year. Located at the Best Western Royal Plaza in Marlborough, MA, the convention runs from February 23–26. Event registration is now live at totalcon.com. The following AS&SH events are available: 

- Thurs., 7PM: "The Strange Tale of Crystal Point" (Jeffrey Talanian)
- Fri., 1PM: "The Pit" (David Prata)
- Fri., 1PM: "Beneath the Black Crystal" (Tim Callahan)
- Fri., 7PM: "The Anthropophagi of Xamboola" (Jeffrey Talanian)
- Sat., 10AM: "Raiders!" (Robert Hood)- Sat., 7PM: "The Sea-Wolf's Daughter" (Jeffrey Talanian)
- Sat., 7PM: "Taken From Dunwich" (Timothy Deschene) 

We will also have an amazing new booth space open during the day. Stop by and visit me, Jeff Talanian, and AS&SH editor, David Prata! Maybe you can also catch Tim Callahan, who's AS&SH adventure module, "The Beasts of Kraggoth Manor" is among our next batch of product releases.  

www.totalcon.com

Last edited by Ghul (1/17/2017 12:11 pm)

1/17/2017 7:58 pm  #17

Will be attending for my first time.

Was able to get into The Sea-Wolf's Daughter and The Anthropophagi of Xamboola when I registered.

Went back in to add in more events and the system booted me from The Anthropophagi of Xamboola. Argh!

Also snagged a seat for Prata's The Pit on Friday afternoon.

Last edited by stahlnee1 (1/17/2017 8:31 pm)

1/18/2017 3:54 pm  #18

stahlnee1 wrote:

Will be attending for my first time.

Was able to get into The Sea-Wolf's Daughter and The Anthropophagi of Xamboola when I registered.

Went back in to add in more events and the system booted me from The Anthropophagi of Xamboola. Argh!

Also snagged a seat for Prata's The Pit on Friday afternoon.

Looking forward to gaming with you!

2/24/2017 8:31 am  #19

Last night I ran the forthcoming AS&SH adventure, "The Strange Tale of Crystal Point," written by the mysterious man known as Chainsaw. We had a great session. During one encounter, the adventurers faced a barnacle-covered Atlantean necromancer that blasted the party with a lightning bolt. They survived the first strike, but then the bolt bounced back at them, and the Viking Runegraver and Kelt-mix Thief were roasted. We had a great time! Cheers! ~Jeff T.

2/24/2017 10:34 am  #20

Lovely! Madness and mayhem for all!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.