!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2017 8:20 pm  #1

Gods of Law

As I kick off my new campaign, I am rewriting B4 The Lost City for AS&SH, set in the Red Desert. I have replaced the three factions' gods with Hyperborian deities: Apollo, Artemis and a forgotten goddess, Aphrodite. Clearly aiming for a Greek theme, I am basing the Lost City upon a lost tribe of Greeks from post-Alexander Greece. The (male) rulers of Greece-in-Hyperboria all take the name of 'Alexander'. The civilization has fallen pretty much as described in the original module but Zargon is believed to be a minor avatar or aspect of Ktuthlu (still working this idea a bit).

Anywho, as I continue to flesh this out, I realized that all of these gods & goddesses are Lawful. My query is if they support good as well as evil worshipers of Law? Would that make sense to have evil worshipers? Maybe they've perverted their religion over time or their understanding of the nature of these deities has been corrupted? Thoughts?

1/30/2017 10:58 pm  #2

Re: Gods of Law

Law is Order.  Order can be taken to extremes in the name of "Good".  One way to prevent the commitment of "Evil" acts is to restrict behavior to a ludicrous ("Evil"?) degree.  Are the gods sane?  Do they perceive their hyper-orderly Law as "Good" when it seems clearly "Evil" to those who experience it?  Have they developed an obsession with Order that has taken them into madness?

1/31/2017 12:30 pm  #3

The Gods seem to be indifferent to good and evil.  Thamagorga (sp?) is the only evil god and must go out of his way to bring suffering and misery.  

Law for me is order and resistance to change.  Chaos is dis-order and constant change.  Artemis would have similar worship practices the world over with expected outcomes for expected behaviors. Xathoqqua worship on the other hand would be different based on the local practices with relatively capricious reactions to the behavior of his worshipers. 

I think good and evil is determined by humans and their cultural beliefs.  Do the Hyperborean gods care how the people treat each other? Only in so much as it impacts their agenda.

This is the way I handle it anyway.  Your way will be equally as valid.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/03/2017 6:55 am  #4

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the input. I like the suggestions and agree that the Gods are indifferent to good and evil. And certainly an over abundance of "good" could lead to "evil", unwittingly.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.