!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2018 9:09 am  #1

Jack Vance

Seems fitting on his birthday today to pay literary tribute to one of the English language's greatest stylists, wordsmiths and neologians. A few choice quotes below. While he's best known for his spell-casting "system", I find his works inspirational from a humorous perspective, too. Enjoy!

"An intellect in full control of itself unfortunately must sacrifice that receptivity which distinguishes the primitive mentality. This is an evolutionary step I have, on the whole, been happy to make."
The Asutra

"My own concepts in this regard are easy and clear, and I am sure that the word 'simplistic' will be used by my critics. These folk are callow and turgid of intellect; I am reassured by their howls and yelps."
The Face

"'I am more inclined to punish Hurtiancz for his crassness,' said Ildefonse. 'But now he simulates a swinish stupidity to escape my anger.'
'Absolute falsity!' roared Hurtiancz. 'I simulate nothing!'
Ildefonse shrugged. 'For all his deficiencies as polemicist and magician, Hurtiancz at least is candid.'"
Rhialto the Marvellous

"Rhialto said sternly: 'Sarsem, your conduct has been less than wise. Need I remind you of this?'
'You need say nothing! In sheer disgust, discharge me from my indenture! The humiliation will be an overwhelming punishment.'
'We are not so cruel,' said Ildefonse."
Rhialto the Marvellous

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

8/28/2018 9:44 am  #2

Re: Jack Vance

This one has to be my favourite:

Cugel grimaced "But I am no thief; Fianosther sent me here to collect certain object, and therefore --"
Iucounu held up his hand. "The offence is far too serious for flippant disclaimers. I have stated my abhorrence for plunderers and thieves, and now I must visit upon you justice in its most unmitigated rigor - unless, of course, you can suggest an adequate requital."
"Some such requital surely exists" Cugel averred. "This cord, however, rasps upon my skin, so that I find cogitation impossible."
"No matter. I have decided to apply the Charm of Forlorn Encystment, which constricts the subject in a pore some 45 miles below the surface of the earth."
Cugel blinked in dismay "Under these conditions, requital could never be made."
"True" mused Iucounu, "I wonder if after all there is some small service which you can perform for me."
"The villain is as good as dead" declared Cugel, "Now remove these abominable bonds!

8/28/2018 4:11 pm  #3

Indeed, I have an abbreviated version of that saved, too. There is no shortage of splendiferous shimmering nets of prose...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

8/28/2018 6:39 pm  #4

I love him! I usually read The Eyes of the Overworld once a year, laughing harder and harder every time. He's great.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.