!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2014 11:00 am  #1

Leigh Brackett

Hi All: 

Another of my favorite books is Leigh Brackett's The Sword Of Rhiannon, also published as Sea Kings Of Mars. I know another Mars novel (Sigh), but a good story is a good story no matter where it's set. I think Sea Kings Of Mars may be free in .epub online, and it contains a few short stories along with the main tale.... Aaron

4/01/2014 11:37 am  #2

Re: Leigh Brackett

You know, I think I have this on a shelf and have not read it yet. Thanks for the reminder.

I think her Skaith books are pretty fun.

4/02/2014 6:58 am  #3

I picked up several of those books through Paizo's "Planet Stories" series. Like Handy, I haven't read them yet, either.

The books I own are:
* The Sword of Rhiannon
* The Secret of Sinharat and Peolle of the Talisman
* The Ginger Star
* The Hounds of Skaith
* The Reavers of Skaith

I'm not sure if this is a "complete" series, or even what is the best order to read them.

Last edited by finarvyn (4/02/2014 7:01 am)

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

4/02/2014 10:45 am  #4

finarvyn wrote:

I picked up several of those books through Paizo's "Planet Stories" series. Like Handy, I haven't read them yet, either.

The books I own are:
* The Sword of Rhiannon
* The Secret of Sinharat and Peolle of the Talisman
* The Ginger Star
* The Hounds of Skaith
* The Reavers of Skaith

I'm not sure if this is a "complete" series, or even what is the best order to read them.

Fin, those last three are the Skaith books. I have them in a one-volume SFBC edition. I think the order you list them in might be the correct order, but a Wikipedia search will prove the truth.

4/04/2014 8:16 am  #5

So if the last three books (Ginger Star, Hounds of Skaith, Reavers of Skaith) are one series, does that mean that the other two are a second series, or are they two different things altogether?

I guess I'm trying to decide upon my "reading order" once I get to them.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

4/04/2014 9:39 am  #6

finarvyn wrote:

So if the last three books (Ginger Star, Hounds of Skaith, Reavers of Skaith) are one series, does that mean that the other two are a second series, or are they two different things altogether?

I guess I'm trying to decide upon my "reading order" once I get to them.

It looks like The Secret of Sinharat involves the same main character as the Skaith books but is set in our Solar System. Sword of Rhiannon is set on Mars but does not use the same character.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.