!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2015 10:46 pm  #21

Re: All time best?

Ghul wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Herbert -- God Emperor of Dune

I've had the Dune series for close to ten years, and finally read the first (Dune) just last year. I know it's well-acclaimed, but I wasn't that inspired by it for some reason. 

It's definitely an acquired taste. Some friends of mine are rabid fans; others are bored to tears.

I wouldn't say I was bored to tears, but I found the writing style and execution somewhat lacking. It was an effort to get through, but in fairness it had some great concepts, and was a pretty memorable story. 

2/15/2015 2:44 pm  #22

I still haven't read any Wagner, will have to dig some up sometime....

My favorites:

- HPL:  "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Shadow Out of Time" and "The Colour Out of Space" and "The Dunwich Horror" and "The Silver Key" are favorites
- REH:  Among his Conan tales, I've enjoyed "The Tower of the Elephant" and "Queen of the Black Coast" and "The Devil in Iron" (all of them, really ;) ), as well as his essay,  "The Hyborian Age"
- CAS:  also too many to choose from, but these stand out always to me:  "A Rendezvous in Averoigne" and "The Maze Of Maâl Dweb" and "The Tale of Satampra Zeiros" (and its prequel, "The Theft of the Thirty-Nine Girdles")
- FL:  "The Jewels in the Forest"  or "The Seven Black Priests"  or "Thieves' House" (again, all of them), and "The Enchantress of Sylaire" and....
- AEM:  I haven't read much of him yet, still working on that....

WRT Frank Herbert,  while I love Dune and its sequels, I also love his Pandora and Jorge X. McKee stories, too.

Last edited by grodog (2/15/2015 2:57 pm)

2/27/2015 5:31 am  #23

Handy Haversack wrote:

A lot of CAS is available electronically for free:

http://www.eldritchdark.com/

I finally had a proper look at this site. What a trove!

4/28/2015 3:20 pm  #24

it'd be difficult for me to make a narrow list of favorites so instead here are two of the books that I read in the 7th grade right before finding D&D:
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Twain
Dragonriders of PERN - McCaffrey

...before fatidic silver pools on a auspicious night stood a Hyperborean Xathoqquan priestess; stripping naked like a beast crawling in on all fours in supplication...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.