!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/12/2014 9:06 am  #21

Re: AFS 6- Released for sale!

stuff usually takes more than a week to cross the pond. I'll report when it arrives.

12/14/2014 11:29 am  #22

joseph wrote:

Thanks Handy, your comments are greatly appreciated! I have some follow up adventures tentatively planned (one of my group is asking for a Norse game) but I have no timetable right now. Anyway, let me know if you run the adventure, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Playing this today, Joseph--that is, if my players go along with the "advice" from the local brigand lord they've pissed off. Will let you know how it goes!

12/15/2014 7:47 am  #23

Ha! Awesome, hope it goes well. Enjoy!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

12/15/2014 9:23 pm  #24

Arrived. This is a great issue, Josephs adventure is really quality, an ideal starting adventure both as a classical story opening and an interesting game. The skull dungeon is also great in a completely different way, cartoonish and tongue in cheek. I like the Hunter class a lot too. If i every play Hyperborea as a player I'd be very much inclined to pick it.

Last edited by The_Great_Lestrade (12/16/2014 10:16 am)

12/16/2014 10:02 am  #25

Many thanks, Lestrade! Hope you can find a use for the adventure!

12/16/2014 1:46 pm  #26

This stuff in AFS 6 is giving me ideas.

The Season of the Wolf.

My plan is to create a mini campaign/adventure around a point to point map (point to point maps never occured to me until afs 3). At the start there will be some sort of festival that gets gate crashed by werewolfs. The players will be hired to hunt the werewolfs across the map. What i want to do, which is a little unusual, is track time. I will make a time track covering about a week. The werewolfs will move between locations and do different things based on the time track. Therefore the players had better not loiter. I will also add in various time based events like some winged beast (possibly a Hippogriff undecided atm) flying around the mountain locations. I'll also have some plot twists, the major of the town being some how in league with the werewolfs etc. In parctice it should allow the players to exercise their tracking skills, interrogation of villages, combat, winter survival and navigation.

12/16/2014 3:20 pm  #27

The_Great_Lestrade wrote:

My plan is to create a mini campaign/adventure around a point to point map (point to point maps never occured to me until afs 3). At the start there will be some sort of festival that gets gate crashed by werewolfs. The players will be hired to hunt the werewolfs across the map. What i want to do, which is a little unusual, is track time. I will make a time track covering about a week. The werewolfs will move between locations and do different things based on the time track. Therefore the players had better not loiter. I will also add in various time based events like some winged beast (possibly a Hippogriff undecided atm) flying around the mountain locations. I'll also have some plot twists, the major of the town being some how in league with the werewolfs etc. In parctice it should allow the players to exercise their tracking skills, interrogation of villages, combat, winter survival and navigation.

Sounds great! I love the idea of basing adventures around Hyperborean festivals. I have had one Apollonalia so far in my game, and it really worked. I try to always keep in mind how Hyperborea might look, physically, because of its calendar when describing thing to my players. And I think using the unique features, like the festivals, is a great way to mark adventures as uniquely Hyperborean.

12/16/2014 4:51 pm  #28

I think it's a great idea as well. I look forward to hearing more about it, Great Lestrade!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/16/2014 5:16 pm  #29

Bealltainn seems like a suitable festival as a Keltic dominant area would suit the map style (which is a bit more Tolkeininan than i anticipated). Also i like the idea of lots of drugged up paint covered people dancing around and then a dozen of them turning into werewolves. Some druid weirdness could be fun too.

This whole thing is basically an excuse to use the Huntsman class.

12/16/2014 6:31 pm  #30

I'm reminded somewhat of Wicker Man, too.;)

12/16/2014 8:14 pm  #31

never seen it but..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

edit;

the map is close to done.

Last edited by The_Great_Lestrade (12/16/2014 8:53 pm)

12/16/2014 9:29 pm  #32

Nice map.

Well, I've never seen the 2006 remake of Wicker Man. I was referring to the original -- a true classic:

12/17/2014 12:40 am  #33

Awesome map. Really like the idea of using point to point . I know that lestrade and I are both fans of point to point wargames such as 'War or 1812' and it is a neat concept to use it with RPGs.

Besides that article that I printed from Chris K/Hill Cantons he also wrote others :
http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/2014/01/pointcrawling-ruins-stocking-structures.html
http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/2014/01/pointcrawling-ruins-revisited.html
http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/2014/03/breaking-out-vertical-pointcrawls.html

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

12/17/2014 9:34 am  #34

point to point can be pretty rad. I designed a session about climbing a column in a cave in the Underborea. At the top is an ancient Hyperborean light house that works intermittently. The players have to make decisions on which routes to climb whilst fending off cave critters. When they get to the top they have to gain access to the 'flare house', surive its defences and set the dial so it works properly.

Hill Cantons blog is excelent, check this out;

12/17/2014 4:55 pm  #35

This is some really interesting stuff, Great Lestrade, and not something I have used or even thought of in rpgs. Nice work!

BTW..I second the original Wicker Man!

2/19/2015 8:44 pm  #36

*AFS News...

Made progress today on all the printing that needs to be done for the covers, internal maps, internal art pieces on different paper types etc today. I am doing a quantity of 40 copies of each of the issues 1-6. Some will be sent off to Black Blade to have avaialable at GaryCON, NTX etc, the rest I will have available for general ordering for those with interest. Next step will be the regular paper printing of the interiors and then assembly. Still shooting for early - mid March.

Still shipping out issue 6 fairly regularly, shipped one to France the other day, and have one going to Sweden tomorrow.

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

2/19/2015 9:45 pm  #37

Awesome, I'll pick one up at GaryCon.

2/19/2015 10:29 pm  #38

Lestrade - was really digging this if beggar's can be choosers for an AFS 7 submission in the future....

The_Great_Lestrade wrote:

never seen it but..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

edit;

the map is close to done.

2/20/2015 9:25 am  #39

Cool stuff, Scaly! Looking forward to 7.

2/23/2015 12:35 am  #40

Scalydemon wrote:

Made progress today on all the printing that needs to be done for the covers, internal maps, internal art pieces on different paper types etc today. I am doing a quantity of 40 copies of each of the issues 1-6. Some will be sent off to Black Blade to have avaialable at GaryCON, NTX etc, the rest I will have available for general ordering for those with interest. Next step will be the regular paper printing of the interiors and then assembly. Still shooting for early - mid March.

Great news, Scott.  Definitely looking forward to sharing AFS with more folks again this year =)

Allan.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.