!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2014 7:38 am  #1

Outdoor Movement and Magic Ranges

Hi,

I couldn't find a reference in the rulebook to what outdoor movement should be per round or turn. I know in most older versions of D&D, you consider the movement to be in yards instead of feet? Is that true for AS&SH?

Similarly, are ranges for spells in yards when used outdoors? The rules say they are for missile weapons (and the link between magician and familiar), but no specific note for spells it seems.

Thanks.

6/04/2014 8:23 am  #2

Re: Outdoor Movement and Magic Ranges

As far as I am able to tell, AS&SH does not distinguish between indoor and outdoor distances. It's always the same speeds and ranges.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

6/04/2014 8:42 am  #3

Yora wrote:

As far as I am able to tell, AS&SH does not distinguish between indoor and outdoor distances. It's always the same speeds and ranges.

Except for missile weapon ranges and the familiar ability. That suggests to me that maybe it was intended that spell ranges and movement were to be yards outdoors. That would make it consistent with the D&D games that inspired AS&SH.

6/04/2014 8:55 am  #4

Kirowan wrote:

Yora wrote:

Except for missile weapon ranges and the familiar ability. That suggests to me that maybe it was intended that spell ranges and movement were to be yards outdoors. That would make it consistent with the D&D games that inspired AS&SH.

Spell ranges are pretty explicit in AS&SH. No scale increases there (no inch system is used; this is why missile ranges are specifically indicated, I think).

Combat movement is consistent indoors and out--six-second combat rounds are the reason, I'd wager. Outdoor movement is given in miles per day.

6/04/2014 9:13 am  #5

Handy Haversack wrote:

Spell ranges are pretty explicit in AS&SH. No scale increases there (no inch system is used; this is why missile ranges are specifically indicated, I think).

Combat movement is consistent indoors and out--six-second combat rounds are the reason, I'd wager. Outdoor movement is given in miles per day.

In B/X D&D, which I understand was a big influence on the game, combat rounds are 10 seconds just like in AS&SH. Movement, spell ranges, and missile ranges are given in feet, but are supposed to be tripled when outdoors.

Hmm...curious. Hopefully Jeff chimes in. 

6/04/2014 9:36 am  #6

Hello fellows,

Just missiles, not spells, Kirowan. Not exacty like B/X, I'm afraid. My roots are in Holmes + 1e. Never played much B/X until recently with my children, but I have read through it many times and I do feel it's the best presentation for an introduction to the hobby.

Handy -- rounds are in 10-second increments, so 6 rounds per minute.

Hope that helps, fellows! I'll be off to North Texas soon, so I might be answering much in the next few days...

Cheers,
Jeff T.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/04/2014 9:44 am  #7

Ghul wrote:

Hello fellows,

Just missiles, not spells, Kirowan. Not exacty like B/X, I'm afraid.

Hmm, I thought outdoor ranges for spells and movement were in yards in 1e as well?

Is it intentional then that archers out range casters when they step outside? I'm just curious about the design intent.

Thanks.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.