!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/31/2023 9:22 am  #1

The Young Kingdom (my version):

The Young Kingdom:

I redid YK map based on William Church's map of 1981.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nialldubh/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=594

Last edited by Caveman (1/02/2024 7:20 am)

1/01/2024 7:11 am  #2

Re: The Young Kingdom (my version):

Wow, very nice: well done!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1/02/2024 7:15 am  #3

Cheers Rhialto.

1/03/2024 10:52 am  #4

Snag this map while you can, I tried putting link on Chaosium Forum and got shot down in flames. I will be removing it from my Flickr tomorrow, rush, rush, rush. 

If folks want the map, I could E-mail it to them?

1/03/2024 11:13 am  #5

Caveman wrote:

Snag this map while you can, I tried putting link on Chaosium Forum and got shot down in flames. I will be removing it from my Flickr tomorrow, rush, rush, rush. 

If folks want the map, I could E-mail it to them?

I downloaded it already, but why was it flamed?

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

1/04/2024 6:11 am  #6

Copyright, I used someone else map and it belongs to whomever. Not sure if I had just designed my own map, without William Church's design, would it have been fine?, but naw problem. It that kind of world. Just wanted to show folks what I had done, and if they had enjoyed it, they could use for their own benefit. What can I type/say, it is the way it is...

1/04/2024 6:30 am  #7

Ah, well that makes sense for copying the map, but your extensions would seem to be your own (derived) work and fall under Fair Use (maybe by adding a disclaimer)? In any case, copyright infringement is dishonorable and to be thwarted. 

1/04/2024 9:17 am  #8

I still chatting with the fellow from Chaosium. He states if I had just done map in a different style, that would have been fine, but I just loved the ye auld William Church's work, that I just wanted to keep it the same.

Still, I can still use map for personal use, and perhaps one day I try again, but perhaps in the next decade.

1/05/2024 7:16 am  #9

So, map removed. But chat with man of Chaosium, stated that using Fonts for another map, is not copyright. So, I have a plan with another world I created for Stormbringer.

1/05/2024 8:36 pm  #10

So it was the combination of a specific font + the Young Kingdoms that was the issue? Could you reproduce the YK map using a different font (say, Crush Your Enemies), and be in the clear?

1/06/2024 7:19 am  #11

Yes, if I had done that map and made it my own like this:

WIP: The World of Elric, Classic Fantasy Style — ProFantasy Community Forum

Then that would be fine...

I now in process of using the fonts from the original map to create a different map.

It was just the original map was within my work that made that map illegal.

Last edited by Caveman (1/06/2024 7:24 am)

1/06/2024 7:55 am  #12

Very nice work, love the sepia tone. With maps in particular it would seem adding or removing details would result in a different creation, but who knows?

1/06/2024 9:19 am  #13

I think mine was just too obviously William Church's.

In honestly, I had wanted to duplicate the WC's map, I have used it for decades, and there is no use me creating a different style of YK map otherwise, the duplication was essential to my idea of the YK. 

I enjoy the 'Crush Your Enemies,' font. I have the Crom font, but these give more defined characters. Cheers for including that in your post!

Last edited by Caveman (1/06/2024 9:23 am)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.