!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2014 2:36 pm  #1

AS&SH Reviews

I'm pinning this thread here to keep tabs on reviews of the AS&SH game and its advdenture modules.

This is the newest one that I know of, an AS&SH Review by Ynas Midgard.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/09/2014 4:39 pm  #2

Re: AS&SH Reviews

Andy, of the Santa Clara Public Library, has blogged about the AS&SH game!

4/10/2014 7:22 am  #3

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/10/2014 8:15 am  #4

Ghul wrote:

I wonder how many folks that have bought the game have been influenced to read authors they may have never read before.  This was my experience.  It makes perfect sense that a library would review something that gets folks to read.  Very cool!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/13/2014 9:49 am  #5

mabon5127 wrote:

Ghul wrote:

I wonder how many folks that have bought the game have been influenced to read authors they may have never read before.  This was my experience.  It makes perfect sense that a library would review something that gets folks to read.  Very cool!

Defintely me as well.  I'd never read CAS before I bought AS&SH.  I'm a better nerd for having done so now. :-)

7/05/2014 8:09 am  #6

Hmm these blog links are broken now for some reason... Although the 404 error shows a kitten in an old card catalog box which is pretty adorable

7/13/2014 6:46 am  #7

I was alerted to a new review in The Unspeakable Oath #24. I don't really know anything about this magazine, I'm afraid to say.

8/04/2014 12:53 pm  #8

I just noticed that there is only a single review for AS&SH at RPG.net. If anyone feels like writing one, I recommend submitting it there as well.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

8/07/2014 2:54 pm  #9

Ghul wrote:

I was alerted to a new review in The Unspeakable Oath #24. I don't really know anything about this magazine, I'm afraid to say.

The Unspeakable Oath (TUO) was the flagship publication of Pagan Publishing, a small independent publisher of above average material for the Call of Cthulhu rpg (and Cthuliana in general). Their most prolific output was back in the 90's and into the early 'aughts. Pagan Publishing still exists (I believe . . .  though, since updates to the website are so few and far between, it's hard to tell), but TUO is now published by a different company. The quality of the content of 'The Oath' back in the Pagan published days was exemplary, but I cannot speak for the current itteration. Pagan Publishing was probably most well know for it's Modern Age CoC  'Delta Green' campaign setting.

Don

9/22/2014 7:13 am  #10

Surprisingly, I found a short (1 A5 page) but positive review in Casus Belli #10.
Casus Belli is maybe the oldest rpg magazine in France and is in its 4th iteration since its creation in the 80's.

9/30/2014 12:17 am  #11

Ghul wrote:

I'll post the review, Jeff; my copy arrived in the past month or so.

9/30/2014 5:41 am  #12

grodog wrote:

Ghul wrote:

I'll post the review, Jeff; my copy arrived in the past month or so.

Thanks, Allan, that sounds great! How do you like the magazine, in general?

9/30/2014 9:00 am  #13

Ghul wrote:

Thanks, Allan, that sounds great! How do you like the magazine, in general?

It's an excellent zine:  Pagan Publishing is what really got me into professional RPG work.  I'd written my first article in White Wolf Magazine #11 back in 1987, but in 1992 or '93, I started to read TUO, and got in touch with the Pagan crew, and began to write regular reviews for them, and to do playtesting for their CoC scenarios.  After Masks, I've liked the Pagan blend of CoC the best, and TUO has a been a big part of that over the years.

10/06/2014 10:50 am  #14

I put this up on Youtube, hope its useful.

http://youtu.be/WCAEB6FYuiE

10/06/2014 5:40 pm  #15

Excellent, and fair review of an excellent rpg.

10/06/2014 9:25 pm  #16

Yes, thank you very kindly for the wonderful review, SavageGM!

10/06/2014 9:32 pm  #17

Very welcome! Looking forward to the future products and KS.

10/17/2014 9:39 am  #18

SavageGM wrote:

I am sorry, sir.  I can't take any RPG V-blogger seriously unless he exhibits 3 of the following:
1) Mullet
2) Neckbeard
3) Black t-shirt with obscure band logo
4) Black t-shirt with howling wolf
5) Mirrorshades
6) Propensity to wander into conspiracy theories
7) Uneven vocalizations, ranging from quiet mumbling (mumblish) to shrill raging.
8) Invalid/useless comparisons to other systems which "do it better anyway"
9) Screaming kids in the background
10) Whining/barking/meowing pets in the background
11) Whining kid who nees the computer to do homework (in other words, play MineCraft)
12) Conspicuoulsy placed rare collectible geeky things, placed in view of the camera, to up "nerd cred"

Other than that, very well rounded and fair review.  ;-)

Last edited by francisca (10/17/2014 9:40 am)

10/17/2014 10:35 am  #19

SavageGM wrote:

Nice review! Welcome to the boards!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

10/17/2014 12:12 pm  #20

francisca wrote:

SavageGM wrote:

I am sorry, sir.  I can't take any RPG V-blogger seriously unless he exhibits 3 of the following:
1) Mullet
2) Neckbeard
3) Black t-shirt with obscure band logo
4) Black t-shirt with howling wolf
5) Mirrorshades
6) Propensity to wander into conspiracy theories
7) Uneven vocalizations, ranging from quiet mumbling (mumblish) to shrill raging.
8) Invalid/useless comparisons to other systems which "do it better anyway"
9) Screaming kids in the background
10) Whining/barking/meowing pets in the background
11) Whining kid who nees the computer to do homework (in other words, play MineCraft)
12) Conspicuoulsy placed rare collectible geeky things, placed in view of the camera, to up "nerd cred"

Other than that, very well rounded and fair review.  ;-)

Well dang I guess I need to up my game and go for the black t-shirt with a band logo, the screaming kid and the rare collectible for future videos. Lol!

Thanks glad you liked the video!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.