!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2021 12:45 am  #21

Re: Orienting the players...

I like the addition of science-fantasy, Jeff—it makes explicit the underlying themes from HPL and CAS while remaining true to their weird roots, and broadens nicely toward Phoenix in Obsidian, Kane, et al, as you intend!

I think that Joe does raise some good points about upping the DM section content about weird science though—even if there’s not a weird artificer/astrologer/tinkernaut PC class, it’s worthwhile to include some new tables of Fortean Times/Rube Goldberg inspiration, as well as some guidance on how you envision the interplay between  magic and weird science functioning in the game/at the table.

Allan.

1/15/2021 10:16 am  #22

Re: Orienting the players...

BA has some Fortean-like stuff in the Hyperborean Encounter Tables with the Celestial stuff.

There is a pointer to Fortean events in the Weather Appendix B. Just examples, which is a decent jumping off point.

A look through the treasure tables to see how many...science-like artifacts there are. Out of about 600 items there are about 16 that seem sciency. I would argue that you might classify the snake-men's "pills as potions" sciency, or at least alchemical enough in nature to lean that way.

Not all surprising only 2% aren't fantasy derived. It isn't a bad thing. The weird science angle hasn't been fully explored/developed to date, but I like the idea of adding that part of CAS and that era to the mix.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.