!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2020 3:26 pm  #1

Converting OSR monsters

Hello, I’d very much appreciate views from thise that know AS&SH better than I, and who are also familiar with Swords & Wizardry.  I am planning to convert The Treasure Vaults of Zadabad, S&W version.  But, I am time poor, and somewhat lazy.  So I have two questions:

1) Are there any reliable ways of converting S&W monsters to AS&SH?  I note that For some creatures there are clear differences between monsters stats.  Others are much closer.  I suspect a straight replacement where possible is necessary.  This would also address the xp and treasure allowance.

2) How should I estimate the level of a party that an adventure suits?  I’ve noted that creatures in AS&SH appear tougher than S&W equivalents, suggesting a higher level challenge.  

any rules of thumb or ways of converting with minimal effort appreciated.

3/16/2020 4:30 pm  #2

Re: Converting OSR monsters

My guidance:

1) You should be able to use the monsters as is with no modification. I would just check for AC and and spell-like ability differences

2) I don't worry about "challenge level". I try to give the players enough enough to decide if they want to engage.
  My canonical example of this is a vampire I put in the "first" level of a dungeon. It has a skeleton warrior as a henchman.
  It guards one entrance but the other is basically unguarded.

My description of the room is: "just wants to sleep. Trusts the skeleton warrior to take care of things. Will summon him
   if disturbed. He has the undead to watch s*** for him."

This was created for a party of 8th+ level 1e characters. I ran it for a group of mostly 1st or 2nd level ASSH folks.

I described an unnatural coldness coming from the stone sarcophagus.

The 1e had a 9th level fighter walk up and lift the lid. He lost 2 levels that night. They did drive off the vampire but he exacted his toll.

The ASSH folks? They just walked around the edge of the room until they ran into the skeleton warrior. Being less than 5th level they had to flee in fear.

What? Me worry?

3/18/2020 8:53 am  #3

Re: Converting OSR monsters

Thanks.  I hate challenge levels, and the idea of ‘balanced’ encounters!

Most the stats of monsters in S&W use the same HD and AC.  Damage levels seem to vary, and the XP needs to he reworked.  I am presuming that most OSR adventures allows enough treasure for suitable level advancement.

If I have time, I would swap out most monsters for AS&SH equivalents, but could live with any B/X or 1st ed AD&D inspired OSR adventure.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.