!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2019 9:14 am  #1

Alter Self

Digging the tweak of change self, but I'm hitting a wall on gilled or winged creatures that are men, humanoids, & bipedal species. Lizard men, Fish men, Angels, Demons ... what else are you people casting?

11/18/2019 12:41 pm  #2

Re: Alter Self

Buddy in my campaign was looking at the automatons from Kraggoth Manor. Mostly to see how I would rule it I think.

There are lots of interesting spell differences.

Well, you can have some homebrew bird men. Something like the Aarakocra from the 1e Fiend Folio.

What? Me worry?

11/18/2019 12:45 pm  #3

Totally forgot about Bird-men. They might fit into the parameters for the spell...

What? Me worry?

11/18/2019 8:48 pm  #4

I'd also allow vhuurmis and ape-men, and all sorts of beast-men/zoanthrops.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

11/19/2019 8:58 am  #5

Gargoyles!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

11/19/2019 5:04 pm  #6

gizmomathboy wrote:

Buddy in my campaign was looking at the automatons from Kraggoth Manor. Mostly to see how I would rule it I think.

The spell reads, in part:

The altered form is limited to men, humanoids, or other bipedal species with which the caster is familiar.

Said Buddy was simply becoming familiar with the creature, to satisfy the requirements of the spell.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.