!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2016 1:50 pm  #1

Plateau of Leng

How do you use this fascinating location in your AS&SH campaigns? As a child I read tantalizing hints about the Plateau of Leng from Lovecraft and was later surprised to see other writers like Stephen King and Robert Anton Wilson mention it in their works. The "canon" information is surprisingly limited and its location unclear (it seems to simultaneously exist in several locations like the Central Asia, Antartica, the Dreamlands, and in my canon, Hyperborea). I was excited to see AS&SH include this location and am very interested to see how it is used in other campaigns. At the time of writing I see it as a sort of negadungeon- that is, there is no reason anyone in their right mind would go there. The Plateau of Leng has no fabulous treasure to rescue or beautiful princesses to save, all it offers is death, madness, misery, and Things Man Was Not Meant To Know. That said, my campaign is still in the idea phase and I would enjoy hearing other ideas.  

1/14/2017 11:24 pm  #2

Re: Plateau of Leng

"things man was not ment to know" sounds like sweet irresistable esoteric lore and spells to a party of magic users. bard's in particular (see satyr/man of leng beastiary page 67) to study the mad pipings of azathoth's keepers and what not (also see sharath, pg 214 hyperboria gazeteer - spacifically paragraph 5).

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.