!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2016 9:10 am  #1

Dodged a pronunciation bullet at Gary Con VIII

So, since first purchasing and reading AS&SH, I had been wondering what exotic race an "ES-KWI-MOKS" was, until Jeff offered up an "ES-KI-MO" as a player character at one of his sessions....boy was I ever "surrpized" that I had been pronouncing it wrong in my head this entire time.

3/11/2016 9:11 am  #2

Re: Dodged a pronunciation bullet at Gary Con VIII

Ha! Awesome. One of players managed an Esquimmeaux cleric with an 18 CHA. That one was the "Sexquimmeaux."

But one way I point out to them how super unfriendly "civilization" is in Hyperborea is how the gate guards treat Esquimmeaux PCs.

3/11/2016 9:20 am  #3

This is why AS&SH is so great, it pulls no punches!  I am running a campaign of a system that shall not be named, and a person took tiefling as a race, after I advised them that they would have trouble - they ended getting all butt hurt after they kept getting chased out of the smaller towns....

3/11/2016 10:26 am  #4

Barnett1967 wrote:

This is why AS&SH is so great, it pulls no punches!  I am running a campaign of a system that shall not be named, and a person took tiefling as a race, after I advised them that they would have trouble - they ended getting all butt hurt after they kept getting chased out of the smaller towns....

I sort of do that with the half orc fighter in my 1e game. He was getting a little harassed but then the townsfolk learn his backstory and STFU right quick. He's basically a hero in and around Verbobonc/Furyondy/Dyvers/Veluna/Kron Hills for the s*** him and the party has done (ran my own version of the creation/founding of The Temple of Elemental Evil).

Of course, now he's a 9th level Fighter so it's unlikely anyone will want to start s*** with him in the first place. That and his golf bag of misc. weapons he's carrying about.

What? Me worry?

3/11/2016 11:22 am  #5

Barnett1967 wrote:

Yup.  Even playing OD&D many years ago Elves and Dwarves were looked at with much distrust let alone something looking other worldly like a tiefling.  That's why it was much easier in a role-playing sense to be human.  In ASSH the harsh reality of racism and stranger phobic behavior is explored as the group sees fit.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/11/2016 12:43 pm  #6

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

3/11/2016 1:24 pm  #7

Barnett1967 wrote:

So, since first purchasing and reading AS&SH, I had been wondering what exotic race an "ES-KWI-MOKS" was, until Jeff offered up an "ES-KI-MO" as a player character at one of his sessions....boy was I ever "surrpized" that I had been pronouncing it wrong in my head this entire time.

Does this mean you haven't read "The Call of Cthulhu"?
(Welcome to the forum BTW.)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/12/2016 1:40 pm  #8

Blackadder23 wrote:

Does this mean you haven't read "The Call of Cthulhu"?  

I have not, but it's on the list!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.