!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2023 1:56 am  #1

Werewolf variant in Desert Dunes Adventure

I am currently running Desert Dunes. We're at the section were they deal with the mad werewolf. I was thinking of modifying the encounter by having the Werewolf be affected by the Amphora's radiation. 
That change will be that it's curse being instantaneously activated by a flash of green energy from the werewolf. At least twice before his power runs out. 
First to make the encounter more challenging. As my players are long time seasoned players.
Second is to foreshadow how the radiation is dangerous. And to introduce further implications for the green diamonds (and orange from Northland). From the radiation zombies to future creatures mutated by them.
And the temporary nature of that power.

What do you think? A good idea?

12/29/2023 6:21 am  #2

Re: Werewolf variant in Desert Dunes Adventure

So the werewolf is cursed by the amphora, and in turn can inflict the amphora's curse twice/day? If that's what you mean, I don't see that as too unusual.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

12/29/2023 12:04 pm  #3

I was thinking that the werewolf uses the amphora's energy to instantly transform a victim into another werewolf, under his control.

12/30/2023 7:03 am  #4

Hmmm, I'd question the causality: the amphora is poisonous, and has inflicted the werewolf, so I think it makes more sense for the werewolf to be able to poison someone else it touches with the same curse. Allowing it to cause lycanthropy without biting a victim seems too much to me, but if you choose that I'd still give the victim a SV. Control of other lycanthropes isn't mentioned in Hyperborea, so I'd also hesitate to allow that (I might have missed the control aspect in the rules). As always though, it's your game. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

12/30/2023 10:21 pm  #5

I think I'll keep the bite to transfer the curse. For dramatic purposes

1/04/2024 3:54 pm  #6

Let us know how it goes!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/07/2024 4:28 pm  #7

Yeah, I was all set for an epic fight. And my cleric cast command "sleep" on him. I didn't allow a coup the grace. But it helped them win the fight more easily. 
As the spell is worded. Any Int below 13 automatically loses the saving throw.

I did manage to infect the werewolf's brother. Who got bit while trying to force belladonna into him to cure him. They grappled him too and fed him belladonna as well. The brother survived.

Last edited by Tikon2000 (1/07/2024 6:20 pm)

1/10/2024 10:05 pm  #8

But you know what? Screw it, I'm filling the dungeon with more werewolves.
The module did say the main werewolf kidnapped a bunch of people from a shipwreck right?  

1/11/2024 5:46 am  #9

There certainly could be more werewolves, but I still couldn't find any "control" aspect to infected victims: only werewolf superior have anything like that, and it seems more of a power/domination aspect, rather than absolute control (like vampires have over their victims).

1/11/2024 11:22 am  #10

I'm thinking of tying it to the amphora. Using the radiation energy from it to accelerate the transformation. As for control, I'll just let them be rampaging monsters. 

2/16/2024 12:49 pm  #11

2nd encounter was more exciting I think. I had the PCs explore the dungeon under the Fane. And run into a Winter Wolf guarding the young girl prisoner in the prison. I modified it by having other survivors from the shipwreck in there with her. But they were all turned by the werewolf. So they could try and get a surprise attack on the players if they "freed" them. The Winter Wolf could have wiped out their hired merc spearmen, but instead of holding off past their spear range, I had him charge in to breathe as much frost breath as possible. They managed to block him off long enough to dispatch him. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.