!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/07/2023 5:05 pm  #1

The Cruel Empire of Tsan-Chan

In a couple of Lovecraft's stories, he references The Cruel Empire of Tsan-Chan which is to come on Earth in the year 5,000. Specifically, the Empire is mentioned in The Shadow Out of Time, and Beyond the Wall of Sleep.
In 2010, Chaosium published a short book detailing what they think it might be like.(It's hard to find now.)

I just think it would be a cool place for a race of humans on Hyperborea to hail from.

Brian

11/08/2023 5:22 am  #2

Re: The Cruel Empire of Tsan-Chan

Interesting idea. I'm not familiar with the stories (I'm sure I read them long ago...), so what is Tsan-Chan like?

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

11/08/2023 12:33 pm  #3

Honestly, in the original stories, they are only mentioned in passing. In the Chaosium book, it's portrayed as possibly the last place where humanity has survived. Everyone is insane, but follows a code of behavior enforced by societal norms. It's been a long time since I read it, so I might not be remembering it correctly.

11/08/2023 1:58 pm  #4

rhialto wrote:

Interesting idea. I'm not familiar with the stories (I'm sure I read them long ago...), so what is Tsan-Chan like?

Literally all "The Shadow Out of Time" has to say is "I talked with the mind of Yiang-Li, a philosopher from the cruel empire of Tsan-Chan, which is to come in A.D. 5000". I assume from the names it was supposed to be in Asia.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.