!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2023 10:25 am  #1

Scouts

I just noticed something about this class. For a dungeon delving adventurer that could be said is relatively closest to an Indiana Jones type of class. Why no access to a whip? You could get it at 4th. And the class has access to the lasso. But it just seems like a whip would fit.

Whether your scout is inspired by an Indiana Jones type of treasure hunter or a hard nosed grimy bounty hunter.

The whip just seems to fit.

I made one but haven’t got to put that character into action yet. I can’t wait to see the mechanics play out.

What do you guys who’ve seen this class at the table think about how it plays?

10/19/2023 2:45 pm  #2

Re: Scouts

Scouts mostly just have the default list of thief weapons (to be honest, I hadn't even noticed lasso on the list). If I had a player who wanted his scout to be proficient with a whip at first level for some quixotic reason, I would give it to him. It's not like a whip is all that useful of a weapon anyway.

Scouts are basically ranger/thieves with the performance that implies. Although I think the scout in my first campaign never used anything but the "thief" part...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/20/2023 4:29 am  #3

I actually played one for a bit, but I hardly ever pay attention to how something plays, except in the sense of "does this class fit what I think the class name implies?". In that sense the scout did, and I had fun with it. And if a player wanted to use a whip I'd probably let them swap out a different weapon (just so there's no argument about getting a free weapon proficiency from anyone else in the game).

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/23/2023 7:00 pm  #4

I like the idea! Maybe in 4th edition?

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/23/2023 10:08 pm  #5

Ghul wrote:

GAH! Submitting to the cries of the mob! ;-)

What? Me worry?

10/24/2023 4:30 am  #6

Ghul wrote:

Probably precisely where the idea belongs, as an "official" change. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

10/24/2023 7:54 am  #7

rhialto wrote:

Ghul wrote:

OK, but we're running into space concerns with all the skills and feats and skill/feat synergies. 

10/24/2023 8:42 am  #8

Ghul wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Ghul wrote:

OK, but we're running into space concerns with all the skills and feats and skill/feat synergies. 

True...maybe adopt an all-digital model, and game-as-a-service at that point? What could go wrong?

10/24/2023 9:36 am  #9

rhialto wrote:

Ghul wrote:

rhialto wrote:

True...maybe adopt an all-digital model, and game-as-a-service at that point? What could go wrong?

10/24/2023 6:08 pm  #10

rhialto wrote:

Ghul wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Hyperborea Beyond? (Hyperborea Hyper? ;-)

What? Me worry?

10/24/2023 7:09 pm  #11

gizmomathboy wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Ghul wrote:

We are from New England... "Wicked Hypa!!"

Last edited by BlackKnight (10/24/2023 7:10 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

10/25/2023 2:34 pm  #12

BlackKnight wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

rhialto wrote:

LOL

10/25/2023 9:38 pm  #13

BlackKnight wrote:

Now that's a name for a web service :-)

What? Me worry?

10/27/2023 5:00 pm  #14

BlackKnight wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

rhialto wrote:

http://wickedhypa.com

Last edited by gizmomathboy (10/27/2023 5:00 pm)

What? Me worry?

10/30/2023 8:01 am  #15

gizmomathboy wrote:

http://wickedhypa.com

That’s a fantastically useful PC generator!  Thanks for this.

10/30/2023 8:24 am  #16

You are most certainly welcome.

I still have some tweaks and updates I want to do (...in the midst of doing).

Mostly to use the 3e character sheets pdf.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.