!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2023 4:39 am  #21

Re: Megadungeon Idea: Lost Sea-Hold of the Hyperborean Captains

9/26/2023 12:42 pm  #22

As well as a map of the island, I’ve been working on some low level adventures that take place on the surface of the island, to keep the PCs entertained until they can get their hands on a treasure map and find their way underground (or to intersperse with dungeon adventures for variety).

“Lotus Bear”: A disreputable type hires the PCs to retrieve several bundles that have washed ashore from a recent Ixian shipwreck, offering gold and a treasure map. The bad news is that the bundles contain rage-inducing lotus favored by berserkers. The worse news is that a brown bear has gotten into some of the bundles and become both enraged and addicted. While gathering the bundles, the PCs will have to dodge both the crazed bear and an Ixian necromancer (with zombie minions) who has come ashore to retrieve his property. Another possible encounter will be a pair of adorable bear cubs searching for their rampaging mother, who will (probably needless to add) start to follow the PCs while whining piteously.

“Admiral of the Hyperborean Sea”: On one of the small islands off the coast of Ghost Pine Island, the PCs run afoul of a pair of pirate crews, led respectively by the Viking Captain Erik the Red-Handed and the Amazon Captain Black Elena. Each pirate crew attempts to recruit the PCs to help retrieve an ancient captain’s sword from a small lost tomb on the island, to decide which of their leaders will be named “Admiral of the Hyperborean Sea”. Apart from the very human danger posed by these two bands of miscreants, and the fact that at least one crew will end up angry with the PCs no matter what they do, the occupant of the tomb is guarded by traps and resting anything but peacefully.

“Wreckers”: The shores of Ghost Pine Island are awash with corpses and the broken remains of ships. Someone is lighting red-tinted bonfires to mimic the Red Flame lighthouse and lure ships to their doom on the rocks. Yet, strangely enough, it doesn’t seem the cargo of these shipwrecks is being stolen, to the point that several ship crews are about to come to blows over salvage rights (all the while accusing each other of being the wreckers). What is going on here? (I have an especially depraved scheme in mind for the wreckers, which I’m quite proud of, but won’t reveal on the off chance my players might see this.) The shipwrecks might be in the background for a few sessions before players get involved to solve the mystery.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/26/2023 3:22 pm  #23

Just seeing the bolded "Lotus Bear" before actually reading the post, I thought it was going to be a monster, some kinda undead bear with lotuses growing from it, scattering pollen wherever it goes. Maybe if they don't deal with the necromancer and he decides on revenge.

9/26/2023 4:03 pm  #24

Carnby wrote:

Just seeing the bolded "Lotus Bear" before actually reading the post, I thought it was going to be a monster, some kinda undead bear with lotuses growing from it, scattering pollen wherever it goes. Maybe if they don't deal with the necromancer and he decides on revenge.

That's a cool idea! I thought I would do some more down-to-earth REH style scenarios to start with. The full scale crazy will come soon enough.

Anyway, the title is a deliberate reference to the inspiration for the scenario:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14209916/

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/30/2023 12:45 pm  #25

Blackadder23 wrote:

“Lotus Bear”: A disreputable type hires the PCs to retrieve several bundles that have washed ashore from a recent Ixian shipwreck, offering gold and a treasure map. The bad news is that the bundles contain rage-inducing lotus favored by berserkers. The worse news is that a brown bear has gotten into some of the bundles and become both enraged and addicted. While gathering the bundles, the PCs will have to dodge both the crazed bear and an Ixian necromancer (with zombie minions) who has come ashore to retrieve his property. Another possible encounter will be a pair of adorable bear cubs searching for their rampaging mother, who will (probably needless to add) start to follow the PCs while whining piteously.

I am so steal...uhm...borrowing this from you!

10/01/2023 11:48 pm  #26

tomas wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

I am so steal...uhm...borrowing this from you!

Feel free - I "borrowed" it in the first place.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/16/2023 10:09 am  #27

The excellent megadungeon Barrowmaze has random tables for different categories of minor items (runic tablets, death masks, canopic jars, etc.) that are appropriate to its theme. It would be very useful to have similar tables for my megadungeon with appropriately-themed items. I have a few ideas but would welcome more suggestions!

Cursed skeleton keys: Carved with a skull and crossbones, of course. The locks in the megadungeon will be divided into classes (A, B, C, etc.) with matching keys (all locks and keys being indistinguishable to the layman, of course, although a thief type or a former locksmith might be able to match a key to a lock). Using the wrong key in the wrong lock will bring a curse based on lock type.

Crystal spectacles: Obviously pirates leave hidden messages written in various substances that are invisible to the naked eye (like the old “lemon juice and heat” trick). Crystal spectacles come in different colors and make similarly-colored invisible writing visible.

Whispering casks: Each of these impervious sealed casks is just large enough to perhaps hold a human head, and faint raspy whispering can be heard coming from them. Different casks can offer different categories of dubious advice and the wisdom of the grave.

Model ships: Made from various substances (from driftwood to star metal) with various magical effects (good and bad).

Possibly minor treasure maps.

Possibly other items using the water of the True Sea.

What would be some other good items for a pirate-themed megadungeon?

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/16/2023 12:52 pm  #28

Charms and wards vs. various sea creatures, vs. the effects of alcohol, vs. weather (or summoning weather conditions)?

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/17/2023 9:26 am  #29

rhialto wrote:

Charms and wards vs. various sea creatures, vs. the effects of alcohol, vs. weather (or summoning weather conditions)?

Good idea!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/17/2023 11:04 am  #30

So reading through the posts and oddly the thing that stood out to my poor eyes?
The name Antigonos, which of course when I first saw it I read as Antigonados.
and I thought to myself, yeah I’ll bet that guy is upset a lot, definitely a possible villain origin story there.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.