!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2023 5:57 pm  #1

Incestuous Hyperboreans

A delicate topic, I understand, but one that I think fits the sword & sorcery oeuvre well. Given that they’re a dying race incompatible with other humans, would it be much of a stretch to posit that incestuous relations betwixt Hyperborean siblings are not uncommon? (I’m looking at you, Cersei and Jaime.)

7/14/2023 7:40 am  #2

Re: Incestuous Hyperboreans

Now I know who was responsible for the modified ice mummies in 2e. (Was ice javelin a lucky guess, or was that detail added after the episode?)
Anyway, I think this is highly likely. Due to their limited numbers and inability to breed with other humans, I imagine that most Hyperborean couples are at least fairly close cousins. I don't think you can ignore Hyperborean decadence and/or desire to be transgressive either; some may have relations with their siblings even if there are alternatives.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/14/2023 8:41 am  #3

Campaign specific?

I guess treat it like European Middle Age royalty stuff.

Not a lot of genetic diversity. However, maybe Hyperboreans are somewhat resistant to some of the more deleterious effects?

While they are rather Melnibonean they don't suffer phyiscally (in general) like Elric.

What? Me worry?

7/14/2023 12:38 pm  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

(Was ice javelin a lucky guess, or was that detail added after the episode?)

That episode aired in the midst of Second Edition editing and layout. Whatever spell I initially had selected in that slot, I reached out to Jeff and said we absolutely needed to change it to ice javelin.

7/15/2023 5:00 pm  #5

DMPrata wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

That episode aired in the midst of Second Edition editing and layout. Whatever spell I initially had selected in that slot, I reached out to Jeff and said we absolutely needed to change it to ice javelin.

Nice!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/21/2023 4:21 pm  #6

DMPrata wrote:

A delicate topic, I understand, but one that I think fits the sword & sorcery oeuvre well. Given that they’re a dying race incompatible with other humans, would it be much of a stretch to posit that incestuous relations betwixt Hyperborean siblings are not uncommon? (I’m looking at you, Cersei and Jaime.)

It certainly sounds reasonable to me, especially given the context of Hyperborean families staying holed up in their mountain fastnesses during the Green Death and its centuries-long aftermath. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/21/2023 4:22 pm  #7

DMPrata wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

I remember that!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.