!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2023 2:43 pm  #1

Anyone looking at "Swords of Cthulhu!" for stuff to put in their game?

Just watched a review of it on Dungeon Craft. It's a sourcebook for 1st Edition D&D but looks like the data could be easily added into Hyperborea without much work. Could extend Cultists of the Kthulhu and other evil gods...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLUSXx4LYAU

Last edited by BlackKnight (3/22/2023 2:43 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

3/22/2023 4:07 pm  #2

Re: Anyone looking at "Swords of Cthulhu!" for stuff to put in their game?

I picked it up recently. It's not quite 1e, being designed for Adventures Dark and Deep, but it's all compatible anyways. I'd probably recommend using the standard Hyperborea stats for monsters when there's overlap, but that still leaves some fun creatures (I was glad to see stats for the winged things from The Festival). It was written as an adaptation to a D&D style so there's some stuff in there that might need some slight reflavouring for a pure Hyperborea game, like elven translations of the Necronomicon becoming Keltic or something. Some fun spells in there that'll fit right in too. I'm not quite sure how necessary the new classes are for Hyperborea, and same with the madness and skills rules, but if you're looking for a way to expand your game it's a very solid choice.

3/22/2023 8:25 pm  #3

For the Elven, I'd probably use Atlantian, and make the characters try to figure out how to translate it as it's an ancient dead language. But thanks. I'll probably pick it up for some ideas at least...

And happy to support another independent small publisher...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

4/27/2023 3:49 pm  #4

Kickstarted this and own the physical book. Great fodder for Hyperborea.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.